Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Happy National Teddy Bear Day


Have you ever had a great idea for a post, based on a scene from a movie or TV show, but couldn't find the clip to support it? Me, too! In fact, It happened for this post. Hopefully, I'll find the clip and post my thoughts next week, but until then, I'll just have to celebrate National Teddy Bear Day.

This is one of two days we Americans celebrate the teddy bear, the other one is on November 14th when we celebrate National American Teddy Bear Day. I guess here in the USA we really love our teddy bears.

 

Most people know that Teddy bears are named after US President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt. Reports differ as to the exact details of the inspiration behind the teddy bear, but it is believed that the concept came about after a 1902 hunting expedition. At the end of a gameless hunt someone brought out a baby bear and suggested that Roosevelt might like to shoot it instead. Roosevelt felt this wasn't exactly sporting and refused. The incident was illustrated in a newspaper cartoon entitled Drawing the Line - which also referred to the political situation at the time. Morris Michtom, an enterprising New York toymaker, saw an opportunity and petitioned President Theodore Roosevelt for permission to use his nickname, Teddy. The president agreed so Mr. Michtom placed a cute stuffed bear labeled Teddy's Bear in his store window. The rest, as they say, is history.

Did you know the history of the teddy bear? Do you have a favorite stuffed animal? Is it a teddy bear? Have you ever struggled to find the clips/videos/links for a blog post?



8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I just read its history on another blog. Didn't know it was because he wouldn't shoot the small bear.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I had a stuffed tiger when I was little and none of my children had a favorite teddy but they all had a few of them.

Susan Says

diedre Knight said...

Interesting facts about the Teddy Bear origins! I had a poodle pajama dog until all I had left was his ear!
I've been frustrated more than once while searching (researching)for blog post information I thought would be easily found! Once,I even had to change topics :-)

Nick Wilford said...

It's a very nice story. I don't know of any National Teddy Bear day over here, which is a shame!

Liz A. said...

I had a teddy bear as a kid. And isn't it the worst when you are looking for a clip for the post and it's nowhere to be found. It's happened to me, too.

S.P. Bowers said...

I was never big on teddy bears (or any plush animals) when I was growing up. My kids LOVE them though. We have altogether too many.

Raj Joshi said...

I love it. I hope that more and more Blogger will use this feature in the future, because it just makes the internet better I think!

Happy Teddy Day 2016 Quotes SMS,
Happy Teddy Day Images Pictures Pics Wallpapers,
Teddy Day 2016 SMS Wishes Quotes
Teddy Day Date in 2016
Things to do on Teddy Day
Teddy Day Gift Ideas

Amit Bansal said...

happy valentines day
happy valentines day card
happy valentines day cards
happy valentines day images

Share this: