Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I'm Going to Summer School!


What do you do when the summer blues make you want to spend your days lounging around the pool? Go to summer school! As a writer I'm always looking for ways to improve my craft and Kidit's Summer School is just the thing I needed to drag me back to my keyboard. 

kami and sKidit Summer School is run by Co-Founders Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen & Kami Kinard along with a crew of authors, illustrators, agents, and editors, who you can read more about HERE.  It all begin when authors Kami Kinard and Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen started blogging together at nerdychicksrule.com and decided they wanted to create a blog-centric event that focused on craft. They spent a long time brainstorming (a favorite activity of both) before coming up with #KidlitSummerSchool. Kami and Sudipta both enjoy writing, and teaching writing, so their idea was to create a program that offers in-depth writing advice on a particular topic each summer. The 2014 focus was on character development. The 2015 focus is on plotting in children’s literature.

Daily blog posts by authors and writing professionals offer inspiration and help you hone your craft. The faculty includes award-winning PB, MG and YA authors.

Kidlit Summer School is for anyone one who loves to write children’s literature, from accomplished writers, to those just starting out.

The best part about Kidlit's Summer School is it's virtual! This means I can lounge around the pool as I work, but instead of working on my backstroke, I'm working on 30 minute dares, plots, pitches, and more. Best of all this summer school is free! The first day of school was Monday, but registration is still open if you want to join the fun. Yes, there is homework, but no worries, everything is on the honor system so if your backstroke needs more work than your plot, you can always skip a day. 

How is your summer going? Are you working on your plot or backstroke? Thinking about going to summer school with me? You're only a CLICK away from some literary summer fun!


5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good for you! I don't write for kids, but I'm sure that summer program will help you and many others.

S.P. Bowers said...

A writing summer school sounds like so much fun.

Liz A. said...

That's a great idea. I hope you get a lot out of it.

Mandy Justin said...

This is really cool. I wish I had known about it sooner (as opposed to just finding out today). Maybe I can join in next year. :)

diedre Knight said...

Ack! Sorry I missed this!

Share this: