Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Happy IWSG Day, Canada Day, and Independence Day!



Who knew there was so much to celebrate in the first week of July!?! With all this excitement I shouldn't be insecure about anything, right? Wrong. I'm an artist and no matter what's going on around us, we can always find something to feel insecure about.  

Fortunately, it's the first Wednesday of the month, time for a post in Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer’s Support Group. IWSG is a place where writers release their fears to the world – or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic. If you’d like to join us, click on the link above and sign up. We post the first Wednesday of every month. We encourage everyone to visit at least a dozen new blogs and leave a comment. Your words might just be the encouragement a lonely, and somewhat insecure, writer needs.

The tireless July co-hosts are Charity BradfordS.A. LarsenAJTamara Narayan, Allison Gammons, and Tanya Miranda.

If you want to wear your support and commitment for IWSG members, The Insecure Writer’s Support Group t-shirt is available. You can purchase your IWSG shirt, designed by the very talented Jeremy Hawkins, at the NeatOShop



Now that you know what IWSG is all about, are you still curious about my insecurity for the month? I have the Summer Break Blues. I just finished a vacation, my kids are home, friends are coming to town, my schmooze is on summer break, it's sunny in So. Cal., the beaches are calling, as is everything else but my laptop, and I just want to be lazy. I want to take three months off the way I did when I was a teacher, well you never really take those three months off, but you get my meaning. I want to be on break. I want to sleep in late, go to the beach, make ice-cream, lounge around the pool with a good book, just relax for the next three months. 

But, I know I can't. My head knows that I need to write every day so I keep my writing muscle strong... now, if I can only convince my heart of that, too. 

Have you checked out the IWSG store or website? Do you have a case of the summer break blues? Do you have a cure for it? 

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't call it being lazy, call it research. Maybe your mind is telling you that a break is needed. But you're right, you don't want to fall out of the writing habit.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You took the words right out of my mouth. I want to do all those things you mentioned instead of writing too. But I keep plugging away.

Liz A. said...

It's good to take a break. Even if it's just a little one. Even if it's just writing an hour less a day.

Jennifer Hawes said...

Sunny So Cal and the beach?? Yes, please! I wish I could write right now, but my kids (and in-laws) are a big distraction. Soon, I'll get back in the groove.

Tamara Narayan said...

Hopefully you can find a writing project that is so exciting/interesting/fun or something so you want to work on it. Otherwise, the beaches will be calling. Breaks are good though. You might come up with a terrific idea once you're rested and relaxed.

S.P. Bowers said...

Keep those writing muscles strong. If you let them get weak it is so much work to get back to where you were. Not to say you can't take a break every now and again, just don't lose the will to write.

Julie Flanders said...

I am feeling the same way and have vowed to be more productive for the rest of the summer. We'll see! LOL I feel like a lazy bum.
Happy Celebrating!

Adrienne Reiter said...

Hi there! I agree with Alex. Try writing about a slacker without a care in the world, and then be that character. ;)

Share this: