Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Recently my family and I watched the movie Unbroken. Saying it was tough to watch is an understatement, but watching it reminded us all of the high price that was paid so we could sit comfortably in our living room watching this movie. Although this isn't Memorial Day or Veteran's Day, I think it's an appropriate day, as is every day, to remember the greatness of America. As we watched the torture the P.O.W.'s suffered, my thoughts turned to the 86 Eritrean refugees being held by ISIS. It is disheartening to think that over 70 years later evil still rises up in the hearts of men toward their fellow man. I am not naive enough to believe that it will stop on it's own, however, I am encouraged by a quote from Mahatma Gandhi, Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always. It may seem that evil will go on forever, but just as it ended for Louis Zamperini and his fellow prisoners, I hold on to the hope that soon, this evil will end, too.

Have you seen Unbroken?  Do you agree with Gandhi? How do you show your gratitude to your veterans?




10 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've never seen it. I do think Gandhi is right though.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Our family watched it together about a week ago. It was horrifying to see what those men went through. I do agree with Gandhi but it is also so discouraging that humans continue to treat each other so beastly. And that so much of the world stands by and watches it happen.

Chrys Fey said...

I really want to see Unbroken. Even though I haven;t seen it yet, I think Angelina Jolie was robbed of many nominations during the last award season.

Gandhi is right! Waiting for the bad to fall is hard, though. Because it seems to take a long time, and only after a lot of death and loss.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Haven't watched it yet.
As a Christian, I KNOW evil will lose in the end!

Liz A. said...

I don't think I can sit through Unbroken, but I heard it's good. I agree with Gandhi. We have to remain the good in the world so that the evil doesn't win.

Jo said...

Putting it this way, I hope Ghandi was right. It is frightening to watch ISIS doing what they are doing. You know how bad they are when they destroy ancient works of art without a thought. Those kind of people have no conscience about anything and nothing is sacred to them. Terrifying people.

blogoratti said...

I haven't seen it. And truly, it is disheartening that the world is still a sad and dangerous place to live.

S.P. Bowers said...

Never seen it, I'll have to look it up.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

L. Diane, thankfully, Ghandi is right and his words bring some encouragment during these challenging times.

Yes, Susan, (and everyone else) the waiting for bad men to fall is very, very hard.

Chrys, I agreee with you! The movie is well done and should have been acknowledged as such.

Amen, Alex!

Liz, it's tough to watch, but I need to remember. For me, it's the remembering that reminds me to always fight evil.

Jo, I find them terrifying, too.

blogoratti, it is, but I think Ghandi's right, all evil men fall.

S.P., I hope you enjoy the movie.

Stephanie Faris said...

Murder is perhaps the worst one, but parliament sounds awfully fancy! I wonder who came up with these names? And were they perhaps under the influence when they did?!

Share this: