Wednesday, June 17, 2015



After my last post, which was a bit heavier than my usual fare, I thought I'd lighten it up a bit this week with an image I saw on socail media. I have to admit that when I saw this I had to scroll through the comments to find the answer. However, I'm going to make it easy for you and give you then answer. The poetic name for a flock of crows is called a murder. Since two is not quite a flock, it's only attempted murder.

Here are a few more unusual names for your entertainment:

A parliament of owls.


A stand of flamingos.                                                                          


A shiver of sharks.


A nest of turtles.


A hood of snails.


A bloom of jellyfish.


A tower of giraffes.


A prickle of porcupines.


Were any of these names familar to you? Did you find a favorite? Do you know any other unusual names? 

14 comments:

Susan Roebuck said...

This is great. I wonder what a group of writers is called...certainly not a gaggle, because we're a quiet lot!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I wonder if those owls could really run Parliament?

Karen Lange said...

I didn't know it was a "shiver" of sharks. Makes me think of chilly water. :) Thanks for enlightening us today. Thanks also for stopping by my blog for Alex's post. Have a good rest of the week!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Prickle really fits the porcupines, doesn't it?

Chrys Fey said...

A Murder of Crows....now I get it! ;)

Jeffrey Scott said...

I never have understood why a group of different sorts of animals have to be called something other than a group of.
As for my favourite? I have always loved a Gaggle of Geese.
I think a murder of crows is going to by my runner-up now.
PS - I nominated you as a creative blogger. Hope you don't mind. Details I posted in my most recent blog post.

Liz A. said...

I actually did know a flock of crows is a murder, so the image made me chuckle right away. And it made me think of a Terry Pratchett quote (from his Discworld series) about needing three witches to form a coven because only two create an argument.

Jo said...

I knew most of them, love the murder joke though. Saw it on FB a long time ago. How about a Dazzle of Zebras.

Caitlin Lane said...

I am woefully uneducated, I didn't know any of these! I'm also apparently immature, because I couldn't stop giggling.

Caitlin Lane said...

I am woefully uneducated, I didn't know any of these! I'm also apparently immature, because I couldn't stop giggling.

S.P. Bowers said...

I wonder who got to make these all up. I knew a few of them.

Sherry Ellis said...

A Parliament of owls sounds so wise!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love the tower of giraffes. I did know about the murder of crows. One of my favorites is an exaltation of larks.

Medeia Sharif said...

Interesting. I did not know most of these.

I didn't read your last post, so I'll check it out.

Share this: