Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Tardigradous A to Z Recovery

The A to Z Challenge ended twelve days ago, but as Robin Riveria @ Writeonsisters.com states, "A to Z was crazy busy. I still feel like I’m in a slow motion recover phase..."

I believe I'm in a slow motion recovery phase, too. I also think I miss the challenge more than I realized since I found myself reading this article at the Huffinton Post: An A to Z of Noah Webster's Finest Forgotten Words. Since it already has all the work done for you, it would make a great theme for the 2016 A to Z Challenge, but I couldn't resist sharing a few forgotten words that made me smile-- in alphabetical order of course.

  1. AFTER-WISE (adj.)Defined by Webster as "wise afterwards or too late" -- or in other words, the perfect term for describing that feeling of knowing exactly what you should have said (or done) after the opportunity to say it (or do it) has passed you by.
  2. BABBLEMENT(n.)"Senseless prattle" or "unmeaning words," according to Webster. To twattle, incidentally, is to gossip or chatter.
    • BABBLEMENT often bubbles uncontrollably out of me when I'm excited.
  3. FOPDOODLE(n.)The perfect name for "an insignificant fellow" -- Webster described this word as "vulgar and not used.
    • In life and in writing, I don't want to be considered a FOPDOODLE.
  4. ILLAQUEATION(n.)A formal word for "the act of ensnaring; a catching or entrapping."
    • I enjoy reading and writing chapters that end in ILLAQUEATION.
  5. TARDIGRADOUS(adj.)"Slow-paced; moving or stepping slowly."
    • At times the writing process seems very TARDIGRADOUS.
That was only five of Noah Webster's Finest Forgotten Words. If you want to read the other 21, click on the link above. I think, like me, you will see why these words have been forgotten. However, like me, a few of them might bring a smile to your face.

Are you missing the challenge? Do you find yourself looking for things in ABC order? Have you been a victim of Babblement recently?


10 comments:

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I never "miss" the challenge and even vow each year to never go there again. And yet, I do it year after year.

Great words. Probably won't work them into my vocab. :)

Jo said...

Actually I have started writing my posts for next year.

I wonder if Tardigradous has anything to do with the tardigrade?

Chrys Fey said...

Those are awesome words to go with the aftermath of A to Z. I am slowly getting back into the groove of every day life. It seems to be taking me longer this year than last year.

Jo is already writing her posts for next year? :O I haven't even decided it I am doing the Challenge next year! lol

Emily R. King said...

Oh, interesting! I like illaqueation. Though fopdoodle is fun to say!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

My aunts and uncles on my father's side used to say, after-wise. It is a sensible word. Sounds a little like Pennsylvania Dutch.

Jeffrey A. Scott said...

Those are great. I love forgotten and archaic works. I think tardigradous is my favourite. ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I wonder if that last one is where the name for the Tardigrade comes from? (World's toughest creature and inspiration for the Kargrandes in my book.)

Liz A. said...

Nah, I don't miss the challenge. Love ILLAQUEATION. No idea how to pronounce it, but it looks like fun.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jenn - I'm not sure I even fall in to the Targigradous slot ... more like the pondering sloth slot -I am so behind and am sure I didn't come over and comment as often as I should have during the A-Z ... I did take on an extra major project ... but - no excuses. I failed to visit too often ... I might now be giving you a stream of babblement!

Love the words aren't they fun ... I will almost certainly forget them .. but After-Wise does seem a good one - cheers Hilary

cleemckenzie said...

I'm in love with fopdoodle and babblement is a close second in my affection.

Here's to recovery.

Share this: