Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A to Z Musing




After a two year hiatus from the A to Z Challenge, I dove back in this year and had a blast! For my challenge, I blogged about Rod Serling's Twilight Zone. Click here, A to Z Challenge 2015, or the link above if you want to check out my 26 posts. 

At dinner time our family takes turns sharing the Highs and Lows of our day. In that vein, here are my random thoughts on the A to Z Challenge 2015...

Image result for HIGHS AND LOWS

Since I consider myself an optimist, I'll start with the Highs...
  • A BIG High for me was my challenge theme. I am a HUGE fan of the Twilight Zone, in fact it as the thought of blogging  about it for 26 days that convinced me to take the plunge after my two year absence. In the past I blogged about cookies and books and wrote poetry to match my vacation spots. Those were good years, but they were hard years. I like baking, but 26 cookies in a little over a month (I started early as suggested by the A to Z co-hosts) is a lot of baking! Blogging about 26 vacation spots was fun, too, but the poetry writing really stretched my brain. I said all that to say this, choose a theme you love and is easy. I still had to research to do my Twilight Zone blog posts, but the research was fun and that is what the A to Z Challenge is all about. 
  • Another high was not killing myself trying to visit everyone. I decided to take the co-hosts advice and set a goal to visit five blogs a day. On most days I was able to visit more, but if I only visited five, I didn't beat myself up as in past years. 
  • I also enjoyed learning new things, meeting new bloggers, and making new friends. That part of the challenge is always a big HIGH for me. 

As for the Lows...
  • Time tops the list. Even though I had two weeks of blogs scheduled before April 1st, I still felt like I needed more time. As one blogger said, "April is the fastest month of the year." It seemed like the month flew by. I'm not sure it if was because I was having fun, or if it was because I was so focused on the letter for the day, I didn't notice the days of the week flying by. 
  • Another low for me was blogs that were cluttered with ads, badges, marketing, etc. I understand the need for self promotion, but I didn't enjoy navigating around all the promotional material to find the A to Z post. 

Overall, I consider the A to Z Challenge 2015 to be the most successful of my trio. I had fun and made a few Twilight Zone converts along the way. Anytime I spend creating new T.Z. fans is always time well spent. 


It's also the first Wednesday of the month time for another IWSG post where we writers help each other deal with our insecurities. A warm thank you to Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and his team of Ninjas, for providing writer's a safe and supportive format to speak openly, and without fear, about the insecurities that come with the craft of writing. Be sure to check out the IWSG Facebook page where writers can garner support more than once a month.

My insecurity for this month is simple, will I be able to do the A to Z again next year? I certainly hope so.

Were you a part of the A to Z Challenge this year? Are you going to do it next year? Are you a fan of the Twilight Zone? If not, check out this link for all 26 of my A to Z posts. Hopefully, your next stop will be in the Twilight Zone fandom. 


14 comments:

Delores said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your A to Z posts on The Twilight Zone. Brought back some great memories.

Melanie Schulz said...

You went about the challenge completely the right way--realistic goals. Maybe next year I'll try that. :)

Angela Verges said...

I was not a part of the A to Z challenge, but I enjoyed your posts.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I'm always glad when it's over, then I'm like, wow I miss it.

I'm complicated.

Teresa

Chrys Fey said...

I agree that the A to Z post should be easy to find, in the middle, at the top, not weighed down by promotion. I did add promo at the end of my posts when Ghost of Death came out, but I made sure to keep it small.

S.P. Bowers said...

Sounds like some great ideas to make the a-Z fun. One of the reasons I don't do it is because of the time commenting on and visiting blogs.

M.R. R. said...

I'm wondering the same thing about A to Z at this point. I hope to do it again, so we'll see.And I don't particularly like seeing blogs with cluttered side-bars, especially if they squish the actual posts.

I've seen a few episodes of the Twilight Zone. I can see why it's considered a classic.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your theme was a lot of fun. Brought back some memories. Hope you will be back next year.

Liz A. said...

If I didn't like The Twilight Zone, I could never admit it. I'd be disowned by my mother. To this day she expects all her shows to have twists. Funny Sixth Sense story goes along with this.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I loved your theme and I hope you'll be back next year. I remember the twilight zone as scary when I was young but when you explained as an adult they seemed to be about morals and ethics more than spooky.
Susan Says

Jeffrey A. Scott said...

I was a big fan of your A-Z theme this year. If I haven't told you yet, I'll tell you now. You were the one blog I was always eager to get to. It was fun, informative and ad free.

I hope my site was fairly easy to navigate. I recently blogged about bloggers that like to BITE (Be Irritating Through Excess), be that ads pop-ups or what-have you.

I will be back, and I'm anxious to see what you come up with next year.

Keep up the great work!

LD Masterson said...

I wasn't part of the challenge but I've been a fan of Twilight Zone since it was first aired so I loved reading your posts.

cleemckenzie said...

I loved your theme. It let me revisit one of my favorite series.

You make a good point about blog clutter. I find it very distracting, yet if you participate in hops and join groups they expect you to have their badges up. It's a toss up for me, but I do try to tidy up around my place.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you, Delores. It brought back some great memories, for me, too.

Melanie, experience is a great teacher. :D

Thank you, Angela. I love visits from those taking the challenge and those supporting us.

T. Powell, I can relate to those feelings!

Chrys, you did a great job. I didn't have any problems with your blog. :)

S.P., it does take time. Which is why I skipped it for the last two years. However, it was good to be back.

M.R.R, yes, we will see. In the meantime, I think I'll watch a few Twilight Zones while I ponder my plans for next year.

Alex, I had fun traveling down the T.Z. memory lane.

Hahaha, Liz! I'm sure my kids feel the same way.

Thank you, Susan. I'm happy to hear so many people enjoyed reading about the Twilight Zone. I'm also excited to know I demystified it a bit for you.

Jeffery, your enthusiasm for my posts always put a smile on my face. Thank you for the warm encouragement.
Next year??? I guess I better start planning.

Yay, L.D.! I always love meeting another T.Z. fan. Glad you enjoyed the posts.

Thank you, C.Lee.. It was a wonderful 26 days.
I don't mind the badges and a bit of other things, it's just hard when they come before the post. It's like watching commercials before the movie.

Share this: