Tuesday, April 28, 2015

X is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, the Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 



     X is for EXecution     

Twilight Zone: 
Season 1, Episode 26
Execution (1 Apr. 1960)
In the late 19th century, Joe Caswell (Albert Salmi) is about to be hanged for murder, when he vanishes into thin air. He's been snatched by Prof. Manion's (Russell Johnson)time machine and brought 80 years into the future. Caswell was selected at random and Manion can see the rope marks on his neck. Caswell is eager to see his new world but Manion wants to send him back. When Caswell runs off into the night, his new world proves to be too much for him. Justice is served in the end and a murderer hangs. Written by garykmcd IMDb. Watch the full episode HERE


  T.Z. Trivia:  
  • The background noises heard aboard the time machine were later reused in Star Trek (1966). They were previously heard in Twilight Zone: Third from the Sun (1960) and Twilight Zone: Elegy (1960).
  • This episode takes place on November 14, 1880 and in 1960.

  Musings:  I realize it is a bit of a stretch using Execution for my X post, but it was this or nothing. As I've said in earlier posts, it's really great seeing the before acting of some of my favorites in these T.Z. episodes; like the professorplaying a professor four years before Gilligan's Island. I was never a big fan of the main character, Albert Salmi, but I do recall seeing him in MeTv reruns of Bonanza, Lost in Space, Mission Impossible, and others. I was sad to discover, while researching this post, that he had died in a murder suicide after shooting his wife and then himself. What was even more disheartening were his daughter's words that they should have divorced long ago and possibly avoided their tragic end. Oscar Wilde said that Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life, this seems to be the case in this T.Z. episode. It has the normal surprise ending that is tragic for all the characters involved, which, sadly, somewhat mirrors the tragic ending for Albert and his wife Roberta.

Where you a fan of Albert Salmi? Do you agree with Oscar Wilde? Did you have trouble finding an X word to fit your theme?


13 comments:

Delores said...

No, I think it's the reverse. Art imitates life...all if it....'the good the bad and the ugly'.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Chosen at random? I wonder what the odds are of zapping someone who's in a noose into the future?

Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

Chrys Fey said...

Justice will always prevail.

cleemckenzie said...

This one is a must see. You've made me put Twilight Zone on my list of night time watching. Thanks. I'd kind of pushed Serling's work to the side. Now it's dead center again.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I thought that was a Professor.
Killed his wife and himself. How tragic.

Jeffrey Scott said...

I just watched the Elugy episode last night. Very creepy. I sort of remember this episode, but not it all. Looking forward to rewatching it.
I didn't have a problem finding an 'X' word, I used Xenophobia. The hard part was to write about it without being too preachy.
You know what I mean. I like to be humorous when I write and it was hard for me to do so in this posting.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I think art imitates life. I recognize Albert's face though I never knew his name.

Michelle Wallace said...

I have a vague memory of this show... or as it a radio programme that was similar?

I love Oscar Wilde... but not sure if I agree or not...
Writer In Transit

Liz A. said...

I'm going to have to ponder the Oscar Wilde quote. I'm not sure if I agree or not. As for my X, I plan my X first, and this year it worked out perfectly.

Debra McKellan said...

It's definitely a quote I'll have to think about before answering.

I had help with my list, so I didn't have trouble. ^_^

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Delores, it's probably a little bit of both.

Annalisa, it all worked out in the end.

Chrys, yes, it does. Especially in the Twilight Zone.

Congratulations, C.Lee.! So happy to hear my musings brought Mr. Serling back to dead center for you. Enjoy!

Alex, it was very tragic for all involved-- fans, friends, and family.

Jeffery, humor always works, but some posts can make it more challenging. However, I think you handled the topic quite well.

Susan, I knew his face, too. It was this post that revealed his name.

Michelle, it is an old TV show. You can find all the episodes on Hulu and YouTube.

Liz A., that was smart! I'll have to try that next time. This year I just went with a theme I'd enjoy writing about.

Debra, it's always nice to get by with a little help from our friends. :D

Clarabelle Rant said...

It does seem like life imitates art often. The hope for my own life is that it imitates the positive art :)

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

We cheated with one of our X words too - I think it's almost expected ;) I think asking if art imitates life or life imitates art is a moot point - I believe it's a cyclic system.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Share this: