Monday, April 27, 2015

W is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series the Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 



W is for (A) World of His Own      

Twilight Zone
Season 1, Episode 36
A World of His Own
Peeking into the window of her playwright husband Gregory's (Keenan Wynn) study, Victoria West (Phyllis Kirk)sees him with a beautiful woman. When she barges into the room, however, the woman is nowhere to be found. His explanation is preposterous - he claims that when he speaks into his dictation machine, the characters for his play come to life before his eyes. Victoria's first reaction is that her husband should be committed. Even after a demonstration first with Mary and then with an elephant in the hallway, Victoria's still not convinced. Gregory tries one last method of proving to her he's telling the truth. Watch the full episode HERE.

  T.Z. Trivia:  
  • Gregory West's method of working, by using a recorder which would later be transcribed by a secretary, was how Serling produced all of his scripts, although he preferred to do his dictating while lounging beside his pool.
  • Rod Serling's first on-screen appearance on the Twilight Zone (1959). Earlier, all his narration was in voiceover only. He would make many other appearances in subsequent seasons, though this was the only one where he interacted with the characters or appeared during the closing narration; all his other appearances were for the openings.
  • The is the only time Serling interacted with the story's characters while doing one of his narrations.

  Musings:    This one of my favorite T.Z. episodes. In encompasses so many of my loves: writing, humor, and magic, all in one episode. The Twilight Zone used humor sparingly, and with good reason, they were not good at it. However, this episode was a perfect blend of humor and suspended belief capped off with a never done before (or again) twist of an ending. I'm not sure if I love this episode so much because it would a dream come true to be able to bring my characters to life with the help of a recording device, or if I was pleased to see a comedic episode of T.Z. that worked. Maybe it was both. Whatever the reason if you love writing, T.Z., or humor, check out A World of His Own. I do think the ending will surprise you.

Would you like a device that allows you to create reality just with the sound of your voice? What would you create? 

14 comments:

Delores said...

A dangerous gift I'm thinking....as sometimes we speak without thinking.

Terri Giuliano Long said...

This is a great theme for the A-Z Challenge!

Chrys Fey said...

This looks like a fun and interesting episode that I'd enjoy. :)

Denise Dobkowski Hammond said...

I grew up watching the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits. I still remember going to my bedroom and running ahead to turn on a light and then running back to turn one off. That jump into bed in the dark was always risky, lol.

@msdeniseh553
Life After Retirement - My Russian Adventure

cleemckenzie said...

Keenan Wynn was one funny actor. I think I only saw him in one serious film. I don't think I ever saw this Twilight Zone episode.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I didn't know Serling dictated the show.
Not sure I'd want my imagination to come to life. Not with some of the alien races I've created.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I would love to meet some of my characters. I'm not familiar with this episode at all.

Nick Wilford said...

My characters would probably gang up on me and stage a revolt because of the things I put them through!

Debra McKellan said...

Geez, I agree with Nick. haha

Jeffrey Scott said...

This looks like a good episode I really want to see. Usually you list the series and episode this is, but I don't see that in your review.

This would be an interesting power to have. Did you ever see the John Candy movie Delirious? This reminded me of that. John Candy writes for soap operas and one day gets hit on the head. When he wakes up, he's in the soap opera he's currently writing.

Keep up the great articles. :)

Jo said...

Very dangerous I think. It would be very easy to choose the wrong path.

Liz A. said...

Now, that sounds like a perfect What If question...

I have not seen this episode. Sounds like one I should check out.

Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

Clarabelle Rant said...

For some reason thinking of TZ as a comedy makes me smile. Of course the main character was a writer ;)

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I think creating reality with just my voice might be a power I could live without - too dangerous :) Some of my characters are a little insane!
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Share this: