Saturday, April 25, 2015

V is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, the Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 


        V is for Valley of the Shadow      


Twilight Zone: 
Season 4, Episode 3
Valley of the Shadow 
(17 Jan. 1963) 

Off the beaten path, reporter Philip Redfield (Ed Nelson) stops in a small town, Peaceful Valley, to gas up and perhaps get a bite to eat. When his dog Rollie runs off after a cat, a young girl, Cissy, points a device at the animal and makes it disappear. After he witnesses the secret mechanical device which can control and rearrange atoms, making things appear and disappear, he soon finds himself forbidden to leave the small town. The town's mayor, Dorn, reveals their secret to him. The town refuses to share this and other amazing technology that had been given to them by a "great man of science" from an unknown land and planet (implying super intelligence from an alien world) until men learn the ways of peacePhilip is given the choice to join them or die - and chooses the former, though human instincts soon take hold forcing a confrontation. Watch the full episode HERE.

  T.Z. Trivia:  
  • The title comes from the King James Version of the 23rd Psalm in the Hebrew Bible. 
  • Sissy Johnson's dad is played by James Doohan, who also plays Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, the engineer of Star Trek (1966)'s Starship Enterprise. 
  • The technology displayed at Peaceful Valley has its equivalent in the Federation universe: the device that breaks atomic structure and puts it together again (transporters), the one that creates objects from "statements" about atomic structure (replicators) and the invisible walls (force fields).

  Musings:  I prefer to get my T.Z. in half-hour doses, but this is one of the rare one hour episodes that's worth sixty minutes of your time. Peaceful Valley is similar to the Eagles Hotel California in that if you discover the town's secret, you can never leave. As I watched Philip Redfeild yearn for the freedom of his old life and the glory of curing all sickness, ending hunger, and essentially saving the world, I wonder what I would do in his place. Would I live my life in comfort or want the same for the world? I think this episode not only takes its title from the Hebrew Bible, but its theme from John 15:13: There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends.  

How about you? Would you seek to save yourself or save the world? 

13 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

They set up quite a dilemma there. Although, if the choice is stay or die, I know what I'd choose!

Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

Delores said...

If the choice was 'stay or die' I'd stay...my dying wouldn't help anyone.

Chrys Fey said...

And that's why I'd be skeptical about stopping to get gas in a small, unknown town.

Jeffrey Scott said...

NO!!!! Your TZ reviews are coming to an end. I have been really enjoying these. Yes, I know I've probably said that before.
That power. I'd use it to save others if I could.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Didn't know Doohan was in it.
I'd want to save the world. Which means I'd probably die trying.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Those small towns, you never know about them. If my family was outside the town I'd probably try and get out.

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm not much of a world saver so I'd save myself and my family.

Liz A. said...

If he took the technology out, he'd cause more problems than he solved. Because that sort of thing never does go well.

Clarabelle Rant said...

I'd have to be sure releasing that technology would really save the world. I'd love to say I would ;) Sounds like a great episode!

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Annalisa, it was a prickly one.

Delores, I like to think I'd stay, but I don't know...

Haha, Chrys! My feelings exactly. Gas up and skip those small towns.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face, Jeffery. I'm happy to know you enjoyed the posts.

Alex, it's so fun seeing the younger versions of stars on T.Z. No greater love...

Susan, I think I'd have the same problem.

Stephen, saving the ones you love is good, too.

Liz, even out of the T.Z., it never goes well.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

You're right, Clarabelle, no use risking your life for nothing.

Debra McKellan said...

Your posts make me want to binge watch Twilight Zone so badly!

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I would want to save the world, but they do have a point. At the moment if you gave the world technology anything like theirs it wouldn't be used to save anything.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Share this: