Friday, April 24, 2015

U is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, the Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 




     U is for Uncle Simon  


Twilight Zone: Season 5, Episode 8
Uncle Simon (15 Nov. 1963) 

Barbara Polk (Constance Ford) takes care of her elderly and mean-spirited uncle Simon.
He is a scientist who spends much of his time in his basement laboratory but when he's not there, he seems to take great pleasure in demeaning his niece. She can't wait for him to die and doesn't hesitate to tell him so. While berating Barbara, Simon raises his cane as if to strike her. Barbara catches his cane, and Simon falls down the stairs, breaking his back. Frustrated with his feebleness, nagging, and constant demands of hot chocolate, Barbara allows him to succumb to his injuries. Finally, she is free. She inherits his wealth but can only keep it if she stays in the house. She also has to care for the thing he created in his lab - a life-sized robot into which Simon Polk has programmed with his own personality. Watch the full episode HERE.

     T.Z. Trivia:   
  • The robot created by Uncle Simon is played by Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet(1956). The dome was modified by adding a crude head inside for this appearance. 
  • The next installment of Twilight Zone(1959), would not air for two weeks. The following week's episode on November 22, 1963 - which was to have been Night Call (One of my intial choices for N) - was cancelled due to the assassination of US President John F. Kennedy in Dallas, Texas that day

   Musings:    Greed, in the end, fails even the greedy.― Cathryn Louis This episode, like Masks, deals with the another unique way to handle greedy relatives. Fortunately, I've never had to make a decision to be nice to a relative I hated to collect an inheritance since none of my relatives are rich. However, fortunately for me, I learned at a young age that although money can buy many things, it can't buy happiness. Even if I did have rich relatives I wouldn't have wasted my life waiting around for them to die to collect whatever they saw fit to bequeath me. Instead, I'd choose to enjoy the riches life provides even without a large bank account. 

Do you think money can buy happiness? Would you trade 25 years of your life for the hope of being rich? How do you find riches in your everyday life? 


12 comments:

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I think money can buy stability, but the happiness is up to the individual. As for trading 25 years of life in the hope of being rich - no way. Life is about love and companionship and helping people because they need it not because you want their money.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Delores said...

I think money can provide an environment where happiness can be found but I wouldn't wait around hoping for money before I started looking for happiness.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

No wealth is worth that. I'm not hanging around an annoying relative just to get money.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is Robby the Robot!
She got what she deserved for being greedy.

Chrys Fey said...

Yikes! To wish someone to die and not care if they are injured? He must've been truly horrid. A robot with his personality? No inheritance is worth that!

Melissa said...

The Twilight Zone had some pretty creepy episodes. Great theme. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I try to be nice just because it's right but I would never put up with a cranky relative in hopes of inheriting.

Jeffrey Scott said...

Being rich, like beauty, can be in the eye of the beholder. Are you rich with a lot of money? Some may think so. I don't. I'd rather be rich with good friends and family. Fortunately, I've been blessed with both.

Jo said...

The saying is - Money can't buy happiness but you can be miserable in comfort.

Liz A. said...

You're either happy or you're not. Money only magnifies your happiness or unhappiness. (Having money is better, of course, but not at the expense of your soul.)

Being around an awful person just for the possibility of inheriting riches... No. Not worth it.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes, Natasha. We should all help people because they need it.

Delores, I wouldn't wait either.

L. Diane, I agree. It's not worth it.

Alex, she certainly did!

Chrys, he was horrid, but so was she. They were definitely related.

Thanks, Melissa.

Susan, being nice is a good life motto.

Jeffery, friends and family pay better dividends.

Jo, haha! I never heard that one before.

Liz A., very true. What's inside always shines through.

Archana said...

Such extensive research! Wow! Riches are to be found around us everyday- we just dont realise them- friends and family to share our joys sorrows and so on... Money is only a means for creature comforts...

Share this: