Thursday, April 23, 2015

T is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series the Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 

      T is for Time Enough At Last      



Twilight Zone: 
Season 1, Episode 8
Time Enough at Last 
(20 Nov. 1959) 
Henry Bemis (Burgess Meredithloves to read. The only problem is that he can find neither the time nor the place to enjoy his pastime. At work, his boss imforms him he is not to read during working hours. At home, his shrewish wife won't even let him read a newspaper, let alone a book. They both complain that he wastes far too much time reading. One day while reading in the bank's vault, there is a huge explosion. He emerges to find the world destroyed in a nuclear holocaust. Finding himself totally alone, Bemis succumbs to despair. As he prepares to commit suicide he sees the ruins of the public library in the distance. Investigating, he finds that the books are still intact and readable; all the books he could ever hope for are his for the reading, and (as he gazes upon a huge fallen face of a clock) learns that he has all the time in the world to read them without interruption. Except for one small unintended event. Watch the full episode HERE.


   T.Z. Trivia:    
  • Out of the 92 episodes of Twilight Zone (1959) written by Rod Serling, this was his personal favorite. 
  • Rod Serling's closing narration for this 1959 episode begins, "The best laid plans of mice and men..." a quote from John Steinbeck's classic novel. Exactly 20 years earlier, actor Burgess "Harry Bemis" Meredith starred in the film adaptation of "Of Mice and Men."

  Musings:   I find it interesting that this episode was one of  Mr. Serling's personal favorites. I'd like to think that it has to do with him having a passion for reading similar to  Mr. Beemis, but I have a funny feeling it has more to do with the ironic ending. I also find it intersting that Mr. Beemis's boss, Mr. Carsville, berates him with this statement, "You are neither an efficient bank teller nor a proficient employee. You, Mr. Beemis are a READER." Having been in positions where I needed people to do the job they were hired to do, I can empathize with Mr. Carsville. However, I have never berated my employees for being readers and hope that words like that, uttered with such negativity, are never spoken anywhere outside the Twilight Zone. 

Are you as obsessed with reading as Mr. Beemis? Have you ever been berated for reading when you should have been doing something else? I'm obessively reading The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. SmithWhat are you reading?


9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is a very famous episode. Such a cruel twist at the end.

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I love to read and I used to read the wrong books in English lessons at school because I really dislike Dickens. I'm about to start reading a new book which I just bought - it's by a fellow AtoZer actually - Ghost of Death by Chrys Fey.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Chrys Fey said...

No time to read? That sounds like a nightmare! A nuclear holocaust sounds horrible, but all the books you can read? I like that thought.

I saw my name in Natasha's comment and got so confused. Haha! Thank you for mentioned Ghost of Death, Natasha! I truly hope you enjoy it! :D

S.P. Bowers said...

I haven't been blogging for a bit and didn't know you were doing Twilight Zone. I'll have to read back through all the posts. I love twilight zone.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I don't think anyone ever berated me for reading and most people throughout my life supported it. I tried to do the same with my children. Don't we all wish for more time to read.

Delores said...

I remember this episode. I was heartbroken for him.

Jeffrey Scott said...

One of my favourite episodes too. And ironically enough, I just watched this the other day. Maybe he can find the ruins of an old optometry building?

Stephanie Faris said...

This is one of my favorites. The After Hours is my absolute favorite, which I know isn't most people's...but the girl in me just has to love the one set in a department store!!! I also liked Number 12 Looks Just Like You--I think it's theme is a bit like what we're facing today with all this plastic surgery.

Liz A. said...

There's been a meme going around the internet having to do with what happens after an apocalypse and you only have one pair of contacts. Shudders.

I've never been berated for being a reader. I've berated others for not--certain English classes have silent reading days, and I really want the kiddos to read so I can...

Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

Share this: