Tuesday, April 21, 2015

R is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 

      R is for Ring-A-Ding Girl   


Twilight Zone: Season 5, Episode 13
Ring-A-Ding Girl
Barbara 'Bunny' Blake (Maggie McNamarais a well-known actress whose hometown fan club sends her an invitation to come home along with an enchanted ring in which sees the faces of her friends and family. Bunny owes her career to the the residents of Howardville who paid her way to Hollywood when was just starting out. She arrives home on the same day as the town's annual picnic and feeling a sense of dread tries to have the event postponed. She doesn't get much cooperation and so takes matters into her own hands.

**Spoiler Alert**
Rod Serling's closing narration for the Ring-A-Ding Girl states: "We are all travelers. The trip starts in a place called birth - and ends in that lonely town called death. And that's the end of the journey, unless you happen to exist a few hours, like Bunny Blake, in the misty regions of the Twilight Zone." Each time I watch this episode, I find myself in the misty regions of a Twilight Zone conundrum. How does she manage to be in two places at once? Often I have to suspend my reality as I watch T.Z., but this time I find myself trying to answer this question. Was she never actually on the plane until seconds before? Was it her ghost in town? Maybe you Sci-Fi writers can figure it out for me. One thing I did figure out is Bunny made the ultimate sacrafice for her loved ones and that alone makes this an episode I always enjoy watching. 

Can you explain how Bunny was in two places at once? Would you lay your life down for your family and/or friends?

10 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

I haven't seen this episode, so I won't be able to explain it. I believe I'd lay down my life for those I love.

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

Astral projection? :) If it was me or all of them, then yes, I think I'd be willing to make the sacrifice, but it's one of those things I'm not sure you can know unless it happens.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

S. L. Hennessy said...

You know, I think I might even remember seeing this one on TV once upon a time!

Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm not familiar with this one. I'd like to think I would do that for my loved ones.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd have to go back and watch it. But in science fiction, anything is possible!

Jeffrey Scott said...

She was cloned at birth.
Hey, it's the Twilight Zone. Why not?

Liz A. said...

I don't think I've seen this one. I'll have to check it out and get back to you.

Nick Wilford said...

I'd like to think I would, if push came to shove.

Sophie Duncan said...

Crisis ghost - that's how Bunny could be in two places at once. This sounds like my kind of TZ episode.
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
FB3X
Wittegen Press

Debra McKellan said...

I'll have to watch the episode to try to answer it for you. lol I've never seen this one.

Share this: