Monday, April 20, 2015

Q is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.
The letter Q often proves to be a challenge in Scrabble and in the A to Z Challenge., this time was no exception. Unlike M or N where I had to whittle down my list of choices, Queen of the Nile was the only choice there was for Q. 

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 


      Q is for Queen of the Nile    
          
   

Twilight Zone: Season 5, 
Episode 23 Queen of the Nile (6 Mar. 1964)
A syndicated columnist, Jordan Herrick, gets an interview with the famous and beautiful actress Pamela Morris (Ann Blyth). She is known for her vitality and beauty, and many want to know her secret to staying young and beautiful. Ms. Morris claims to be 38 years old but according to Jordan's information, that would have made her first film as an adult when she was only 10. He takes her word for it but her elderly mother, Viola Draper, has news for him: she's not Pamela's mother, she is her daughter. The more he looks into her background, the more convinced he becomes that Pamela hasn't aged for decades. Faced with the facts, Pamela shows the lengths she will go to in order to protect her great secret. Watch the full episode HERE.


  Musings:  The letter Q often proves to be a challenge in Scrabble and in the A to Z Challenge, this time was no exception. Unlike M or N where I had to whittle down my list of choices, Queen of the Nile was the only choice there was for Q. This T.Z. episode bears a strong resemblance to Long Live Walter Jameson, an episode shot four years earlier with the same fountain of youth premise. Although the episode has great dialogue and a couple of the usual T.Z. twists, this concept of eternal youth was not handled with as much intrigue and explanation as its predecessor. Perhaps eternal youth was on the minds of the T.Z. writers when they wrote it or perhaps they just wanted a venue that would star the lovely Ann Blyth or maybe they were fed up with the mediocre reviews they were receiving from the press and fantasized about a means of disposing of them. Whatever the reason the best thing I can say about this episode is it met my need for the letter Q

Did you find it challenging to find a post for the letter Q? Can you believe there are only nine more posts left in this challenge? Do you believe in the existence of the fountain of youth?

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Maybe they were starting to run out of ideas at that point.

Jo said...

I don't think I would like eternal youth but it would be nice to be younger longer. Never saw this programme but I am interested in reading what you are saying about it.

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

Q was actually one of my easiest letters because for my theme there was only one choice :) It was slightly tougher for our colour theme at FB3X though!
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Donna Smith said...

Q wasn't so awful for my theme of signs... unfortunately I think a similar sign will be my Z, too!
Loved Twilight Zone! Now looking at reruns recently, they weren't as intriguing as they were when they first came out. Maybe it's because I remember most all of the endings! No surprises!

Chrys Fey said...

This episode reminds me of that new movies that's coming out with Blake Lively...The Age of Adeline.

Stephanie Faris said...

I didn't care for this episode as much as many of the others. It seemed very "Portrait of Dorian Gray." Perhaps at the time it was more original than it is now, though...in 2015, every story that can be done has been!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

The fountain of youth thing is common in a lot of shows that feature supernatural elements. This was my first year where I had no trouble with Q.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I wonder why the daughter decided to share the secret to a journalist.

Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

Jeffrey Scott said...

I did find it a challenge for Q. My A-Z finds different things to complain about. So I went with Quantum Physics. LOL

Your reviews are awesome, by the way. I've started to rewatch the older episodes on Amazon Prime.

Debra McKellan said...

I had a list to help me with the odd letters.

I can't remember if I've seen this episode or not.

Sherry Ellis said...

I'd like to look young, but have the wisdom of an older person. Nice job on "Q"!

Nick Wilford said...

My Q was decided at the last minute. I guess they only had so many ideas to work on.

Lisa said...

Yes, it was hard to find a Q, but I did! I like yours and will go back and watch the previous episode you were talking about... Love your theme!!! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Alex, you probably hit the nail on the head.

Thanks, Jo! I'm glad you find my musings interesting.

Natasha, I never thought of it like that. Yes, not having to make a choice did make it easier.

Donna, you're right, knowing the ending does lessen the intrigue. On the other hand it allows me to see the deeper meaning.

Chrys, I want to see that movie. Both remind me of the ABC series Forever.

Stephanie, as they saying goes, Everything old is new again.

Susan, lucky you! Next time maybe I should pick my theme with Q in mind.

Annalisa, I could tell you, but it would spoil the entire episode.

Jeffery, now that's something to complain about. Unless you're my husband, he finds it interesting.

Debra, I made a list, too! Great minds...

Yes, Sherry! Looks without wisdom is an accident waiting to happen.

Nick, sometimes last minute plans are the best.

Thanks, Lisa. Long Live Walter Jameson is a much better episode with a great ending. The middle and beginning were wonderful, too.

Liz A. said...

No, Q wasn't an issue for me. There are quite a few good Q words to work with: quiet, quiz, quit. I ended up with quote.

Share this: