Thursday, April 16, 2015

N is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 


   N is for Nothing in the Dark   

Image result for Nothing in the Dark Twilight Zone: 
Season 3, Episode 16
Nothing in the Dark
A lonely old woman, Wanda Dunn (Gladys Cooperhas fought with death a thousand times and has always won.  She never leaves her dark basement apartment because she's afraid "Mr. Death" is waiting for her outside. When police officer Harold Beldon (Robert Redford) is shot at her front door, the reluctant woman opens it and lets him in. He talks to her about her fear, and she tells him she has seen Death before in the form of a man, and witnessed him taking away the life of a woman just by touching her. Wanda has been afraid of death ever since. When a contractor comes to demolish the building, he explains the "old gives space for the new" to her and she finds that her new journey has begun. Watch the full episode HERE.

 Musings:Nothing in the Dark is another classic Twilight Zone episode. Aside from the fact that it features a very young and handsome Robert Redford, it expresses one of man's largest fears; the unknown. For Wanda, this unknown is death. For many of us death is interpreted in a variety of ways: the after life— heaven vs. hell, an eternal sleep, cease of existence, whatever your take on death I believe we can all agree, for the most part, it is unknown. Another point we can agree upon is one day death will come for us and no matter how we try, there will be no place to hide. We can only hope that when death comes knocking at our door it is as gentle and as handsome as Robert Redford. 

What is your take on the afterlife? Do you fear the unknown? Would you open the door to Robert Redford?


17 comments:

blogoratti said...

That looks like an interesting episode. I think the afterlife is quite real!

Stephanie Faris said...

I LOVE The Twilight Zone. Robert Redford was so handsome in this one. The show had some fairly deep themes that still hold true to this day.

Melanie Schulz said...

I would face death for a young Robert Redford.

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I believe we go to a better place in the afterlife, I'm just not sure what that might be :). Who wouldn't open the door to Robert Redford? ;)
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Chrys Fey said...

Like Natasha, I believe we go to a better place. And I have to agree with these three wonderful ladies that I'd gladly let a young Robert Redford into my home. ;)

cleemckenzie said...

There's not one Twilight episode that didn't leave me thinking a lot. Thanks for posting the link to this one.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I would open for Redford but maybe a few others. I think what I fear is not getting everything done that I want to before I die like seeing my children all settled and happy.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It will find us all eventually.
The good news - Heaven is going to rock!

Jeffrey Scott said...

Let Robert Redford into my apartment? Meh.
But Diana Krall can come in and sing me to "sleep"* any time.

* I.E. Death, I'm trying to be morbid here. ;)

Nick Wilford said...

I'm not sure that anything happens, but I'm willing to be proved wrong!

Lynda R Young said...

Oh, I don't recall this episode. I'll have to watch it now :)

Liz A. said...

Yep, I fear the unknown. But I don't fear the afterlife. Getting there, on the other hand...

Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

Clarabelle Rant said...

A young Robert Redford is worth watching anything for ;)

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I do, too, blogoratti, I do, too.

Stephanie, Robert Redford did bring a certain sparkle to this episode.

Ha, Melanie! You and a few others.

Natasha, that could be why Ms. Dunn opened the door.

Chrys, I think we have a consensus. I would open the door, too.

C.Lee, you're welcome. Yes, these episodes do make us think.

Susan, I'd like to see those things, too, before my time here is over.

Alex, I agree, heaven is going to be better than we ever imagined!

Hahaha! Jeffery. I guess Robert Redford wouldn't do it for most guys.

I don't want to prove you wrong, Nick, but, I'm pretty sure there is more and I hope you find this out, too.

Lynda, I hope you enjoy it!

Liz, I believe our transition will be as smooth as Wanda's, if not smoother.

Clarabelle, very true!

Melissa Sugar said...

I'm a huge fan of the Twilight Zone. I'm also a huge fan of Robert Redford. He sure was good looking back then. I really like your theme and will be back to read more. I don't fear the after life, I just sort of fear the process of what must happen to get there.

Bill Nicholls said...

You must really like the program to do an At Z on it. Well done not sure I could. Thanks for visting my blog

Kathryn McKendry said...

That sounds like a great episode. I never really watched many Twilight Zones. It seems the fear of death cause her to never really live.
If death looked like young Robert Redford that would be totally fine with me! :)

Share this: