Wednesday, April 15, 2015

M is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 





      M is for  (The) Masks      

Image result for the masks twilight zone
Twilight Zone: 
Season 5, Episode 25
The Masks (20 Mar. 1964) 
When his doctor tells him that he could die at any moment, the wealthy Jason Foster gathers his heirs including his daughter Emily Harper, her husband Wilfred and their children Paula and Wilfrid Jr. Jason doesn't think much of any of them and it's clear they can't wait to get their hands on his fortune. It's Mardi Gras time in New Orleans and he has one last request - for each of them to wear a carnival mask. Each of the masks is meant to reflect some aspect of their personality - and leave a lasting impression on them. IMBd Written by garykmcd


  Musings: Growing up with single mom trying to make ends meet for her four kids she used to jokingly say, "If only I had been born rich instead of beautiful." After watching this episode of The Twilight Zone, I agree with her, beauty is always better. But not just an external beauty, a inner beauty that allows one to love their true selves for that is the only way one finds real satisfaction. In Shakespeare's Hamlet Polonius states, "To thine own self be true." It is quite possible that was the goal of wealthy Jason Foster when he forced his family to wear those maske. Perhaps he reminded his family of it daily, but only through death and some unique Madri Gras masks that he's finally able to help his family be true to themselves. 


T.Z. Trivia:   The Masks was directed by Ida Lupino, who also starred in the first-season episode The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine. She was the only person in the history of the original Twilight Zone to have acted in one episode and directed another. She was also the only woman to direct a Twilight Zone episode.

How do you stay true to yourself? Do you wear any masks to hide your true self? Would you have worn Mr. Foster's masks?

18 comments:

blogoratti said...

Great and interesting theme, and thanks for sharing!

Sabrina A. Fish said...

I love how you've pulled out the deeper message in these episodes. I'm definitely going to have to go back and watch them.
I wear the 'everything is serene' mask, when inside I'm stressing.(I own a trophy company and its end of school awards time*twitches*) People don't want to be hit in the face with my work anxiety, so I keep it to myself. I'm honest about it with my husband and business partner. He helps me stay sane.

Jennifer Hawes said...

Love your theme! My mom always watched The Twilight Zone and got us hooked as kids:)

Stephen Tremp said...

Mask was great! I know greedy families like this who deserve to wear such a mask for the rest of their lives.

Stephen Tremp
A to Z Cohost
M is for Movies

Matthew MacNish said...

Oh boy. The Twilight Zone was so creepy!

I think we all wear masks all the time. I suppose that's part of society.

2015 A to Z Challenge Co-Host
Matthew MacNish from The QQQE

Chrys Fey said...

Those masks are hideous! I wouldn't have worn it. Then again I'm not greedy like they were.

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I think we all hide parts of ourselves behind masks for the world, we just have to try and remember to take them off when looking in the mirror. Greed is such an ugly motivation and I do my very best to stay well away from it.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Debra McKellan said...

I remember this episode! Didn't the masks not come off?

My mom's been single for most of my sisters' and my life, and I know sometimes it was hard for her to make ends meet, but she truly is a beautiful person, too, and it IS more important.

Jo said...

Never watched any of the shows, but I love your analyses of them. I think the older one gets the more one becomes true to oneself basically because we worry less about what other people think. My take anyway.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The only woman to direct an episode? Wow, that's a scary statistic.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I think we all wear masks at certain times. I don't remember this episode but it sounds pretty good.

Nick Wilford said...

So what was the deal - did the masks stay on permanently? I guess that's about learning not to judge by appearance.

Jeffrey Scott said...

I try not to wear any masks. Mostly because no matter how we act, others are going to treat us exactly the way they want to.
As Picard once said, "If we are to be damned. Let's be damned for who we really are."

Mary t Kincaid said...

I'm sure we all wear masks at various times. I'm an introvert and sometimes I have to wear one to get through social events which are painful at time. Most of the time I can approach things with the enthusiasm of a small child, but other times it is a great effort to keep my mask up.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I loved Twilight Zone and having watched many, um...no, I wouldn't have worn a mask for Mr. Foster.

I was always taught that beauty and happiness are inside jobs. Meaning it comes from within. As My mother has said many times, surface beauty is lifeless without the warmth of inner qualities. Without that you're little more than a breathing scultpture.

Enjoyed the post!

Sia McKye Over Coffee

LD Masterson said...

I thought I knew all the Twilight Zone episodes but I don't remember this one. I like the trivia about Ida Lupino. I do remember her.

Lynda R Young said...

I do love the original twilight zone episodes. It's been so long since I've seen them

Scribbles From Jenn said...

blogoratti, you're welcome! Glad you find it interesting.

Thank you, Sabrina. It's been revelatory for me, too. Thank goodness for supportive husbands!

Jennifer, one day my kids will probably say the same thing as you.

Stephen, wouldn't that be awesome to see their masks on the outside, too?

Sadly, Matthew, you are right, masks are a part of our society.

Chrys, therein lies the key! Greed makes you do crazy things.

True, Natasha, as long as we take them off when we look in the mirror, hopefully, we will be true to ourselves.

Yes, Debra, they came off, but it left them with a new face. Single moms are beautiful people aren't' they?

Thank you, Jo. Age does have a way of smoothing out life's wrinkles.

Alex, it was a different time back then.

Susan, sometimes masks are necessary, but watching this episode reminds me to take them off before they transform me.

Nick, they came off, but only after they transformed its wearer.

Jeffery, great point. Love that Picard quote!

Mary, Social events would look a lot different if everyone took off their masks.

Ha, Sia, we understand that in the Twilight Zone, there's always a catch. Your mother sounds like a wise woman.

L.D., even as much as I love the Twilight Zone, I'm learning something new (almost) every day.

Lynda, I hope you get to catch-up on a few episodes.

Share this: