Tuesday, April 14, 2015

L is for...



I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 

      L is for Living Doll   

Image result for living doll twilight zone
Twilight Zone:
Season 5, Episode 6
Living Doll (1 Nov. 1963) 
Erich Streater (Telly Savalas) is upset when his wife comes home with her daughter Christie having bought her yet another doll. Christie loves her new Talking Tina doll but her stepfather takes an immediate dislike to it. Anytime he is alone with the doll, it spouts abusive comments to the effect that it hates him and that it's going to kill him. He's convinced that his wife is behind it all, something she vehemently denies. He tries to get rid of the doll but it always seems to reappear - and also seems intent on following through with its threats. Written by garykmcd IMDb  Watch the full episode HERE.

  Musings:  Living Doll is one of the classic Twilight Zone episodes. It has been parodied on The Simpsons, The X Files, and Johnny BravoAnyone who has any history with the show has seen this episode. It ranks up there in the top ten favorite Twilight Zone episodes with most fans, this one included. Even though I still find the episode a bit creepy, I do derive pleasure from watching Evil Erich get his just reward. I don't know if I like this episode because I also had an evil stepfather who was a lot like Telly Salvalas right down to the bald head. Or maybe it was because I didn't have any magical powers and it would be nice if my toys did. I don't think I really wanted my toys to harm people, but during that time in my life, I did wish there was a way to make my evil stepfather go away. Fortunately, even without a magic doll, he finally did. 

T.Z. Trivia- June Foray, the voice of the Talky Tina doll, was also the voice of Mattel's Chatty Cathy doll, upon which the doll in this episode was based.

Have you seen this episode of The Twilight Zone? Are you a fan of Talking Tina? Did you have any toys that creeped you out? 

13 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

There can be something extremely creepy about dolls at the best of times!

Elaine L. Bridge said...

Wow, great post! I love your theme! I only watched the show sporadically, but I still hum the theme music when something a little strange happens, lol! Great job on the Challenge!

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I haven't seen that ep, but I do remember the Krusty Doll from the Simpsons :) Sounds like an eerie ep.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Nick Wilford said...

I always thought dolls had a dark side! I also recall the Simpsons Krusty Doll episode. Seems like this idea really caught hold.

Sabrina A. Fish said...

Reminds me too much of Chucky. Those dolls ruined me for talking or large dolls of any kind. *shiver*

Stephen Tremp said...

Talky Tina. My favorite TZ episode of all!

Stephen Tremp
A to Z Cohost
Twitter: @StephenTremp

Chrys Fey said...

Talking dolls are always creepy.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I remember that episode well. I've always thought talking dolls were creepy.

Jo said...

When I had dolls it was way before any of these programmes whether on TV or the big screen. So no, they didn't creep me out, I loved them like babies.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I remember that episode.
Sorry you had an evil stepfather.

Jeffrey Scott said...

Definitely remember this episode. Though I'd never seriously want to see toys running around hurting people, there is a certain amount of satisfaction in seeing someone evil get there comeuppance by something totally unexpected.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Annalisa, very true.

Thanks, Elaine. I'm glad you like being in The Twilight Zone.

Natasha, I haven't seen the Krusty Doll episode, but I will.

Yes, Nick, Talking Tina is everywhere.

Sabrina, I wonder if she was the inspiration behind Chucky.

Mine, too, Stephen.

True, Chrys, and Susan. I don't think that will ever change.

Jo, you were very fortunate to have quiet babies.

Thank you, Alex, it was challenging time, but I overcame without magic or murder.

Jeffery, my thoughts exactly.

blogoratti said...

That was interesting to read, thanks for sharing!

Share this: