Monday, April 13, 2015

K is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 


      K is for Kick the Can      

Image result for kick the can twilight zone Twilight Zone: 
Season 3, Episode 21
Kick the Can (9 Feb. 1962) 
Charles Whitley, (Ernest Truex), an elderly resident of Sunnyvale Rest, believes he's discovered the secret of youth is to act young. His best friend Ben begins to worry when Charles suggests all you have to do is wish it and you can be young again. He reminisces about the days of his youth playing kick the can. One night Charles convinces a few residents to play a game of kick the can. Ben is worried his friend will end up in the loony bin but it's Ben who is in for a surprise. Watch the full episode HERE.


  Musings:  "The aging process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball." ~Doug Larson. I truly enjoy watching this episode of The Twilight Zone. As a kid I liked the thought of my mom getting younger just by playing with us. As an adult I like the idea of staying young by playing with my kids. I also believe that old Mr. Whitley was on to something. We may not be able to physically reverse the aging process by acting young, but embracing the childlike desire to throw a snowball, kick a can or toss a football does have it's benefits.

Do you believe the old adage, You're only as old as you feel? Or do you agree with George Bernard Shaw, Youth is wasted on the young? Would you join Mr. Whitley in a late night game of kick the can?


13 comments:

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I loved The Twilight Zone and was already geared up to watch Kick The Can. Unfortunately, it is blocked over here in Germany because GEMA says the rights are not given for this country.

But the beginning of your post, drew me in.
Visiting from A to Z Blog Challenge 2015.
Shalom,
Patricia at Everything Must Change

Nick Wilford said...

I'd definitely be up for kick the can at any age. It's weird to think about growing old, in my mid-30s I still feel as I did at 18 even though I have a few grey hairs. Hopefully we can all stay young!

Chrys Fey said...

That's cute. If only we could get younger by playing with kids. :)

Julie Flanders said...

Your theme is really showing just how many great Twilight Zone episodes there were! Such a creative show.

Stephen Tremp said...

Great great great episode. One of the all time TZ classics!

Stephen Tremp
an A-Z Cohost
@StephenTremp on Twitter

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't feel young anymore, but I can still act it.
Didn't they revise that episode for the Twilight Zone movie that came out in the 80's?

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I can't resist throwing a snowball now and then. Our family still plays a lot though my husband and I move a lot slower than we once did.

Jeffrey Scott said...

I have always loved this episode. It reminds me of my sister and I. No matter how old we get (She's a year older) she always complains how old she is and she's an old woman. However, I am always telling people how young I feel. I'm still running and playing games with my kids when they come for a visit. My younger sisters and I get together quite often to sing karaoke or just play some form of board game. My older sister, will be complaining about how old she is.

So, when is the next kick the can game? Sign me up.

Jo said...

Never heard of kick the can anyway. I think one never feels as old as you are. I certainly don't feel my age mostly unless I try and do something I physically can't. If I was ever actually out in the snow with people I wouldn't hesitate to throw a snowball but in fact we used to cross country ski rather than throw snowballs.

Bonnie Gwyn said...

I definitely relate to youth being wasted on the young ... and I'm young! Hehe Ah well. Loving your posts! :)

Clarabelle Rant said...

I believe we are slowing down the aging process. 40's are the new 30's, etc.. People are looking, acting and feeling younger these days. It's just health that put a damper on the fountain of youth ;)

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I totally believe that your are only as old as you feel. I have seen too many people get old before their time because they thought they should!
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Debra McKellan said...

This may have been the last episode I watched. I loved it, and I certainly would play with him!

Share this: