Saturday, April 11, 2015

J is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 

    J is for Judgement Night  


Twilight Zone: 
Season 1, Episode 10 
Judgment Night  (4 Dec. 1959) During World War II, a confused Carl Lanser (Nehemiah Persoff) appears aboard a British passenger liner, the S.S. Queen of Glasgow, traveling from London to New York. Unaware how he got on board the ship, he joins the crew and passengers for dinner. The captain discusses German U-boats seen in the area. Annoyed Lanser explains in detail how one would not be aware of a German U-boat.  Lanser experiences déjà vu and believes that he is, unbeknownst to the others, Captain of the U-boat that is at that very moment tracking the freighter with plans to sink it. Lanser becomes increasingly panicked as he desperately tries to convince the crew of their impending demise. Watch the full episode here.


  Musings:   As with every series, there has to be one or two that are just okay. For me, Judgement Night is one of those episodes. I don't know exactly what it is, but I think I might be in good company since it is one of the more obscure episodes. However, in researching for this blog post, I did discover an interesting fact I thought I'd share:  

In a 1959 interview with Mike Wallace Serling said, "We changed, in eighteen scripts, Mike, we have had one line changed, which, again, was a little ludicrous but of insufficient basic concern within the context of the story, not to put up a fight. On a bridge of a British ship, a sailor calls down to the galley and asks in my script for a pot of tea, because I believe that it's constitutionally acceptable in the British Navy to drink tea. One of my sponsors happens to sell instant coffee (Sanka), and he took great umbrage, or at least minor umbrage anyway, with the idea of saying tea. Well, we had a couple of swings back and forth, nothing serious, and we decided we'd ask for a tray to be sent up to the bridge. But in eighteen scripts, that's the only conflict we've had."

This ends week two of the A to Z Challenge. How are things going for you? Have you met a lot of new bloggers? Learned something new? Wishing this was the end of week four instead of two?


11 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

LOL! A fight over tea and coffee.

Megan Morgan said...

I never watched The Twilight Zone, until a coworker and I started watching them when we had to work holidays together. I haven't seen this one, but I have to say they're pretty brilliant!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I remember this episode. It reminded me of those dreams where you're trying to warn others about something and they just don't get the reason for your panic.

Jo said...

Unlikely a sailor would have asked for a pot of tea. A mug of tea more likely.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Such a silly thing to protest. The British do drink tea after all.

Sytiva Sheehan said...

It always nice to read other peoples opinions on what they are reading. Everyone has a different opinion on how they perceive situations. :D
I'm having fun Jenn, didn't think it was going to be this much work as far as uploading. So far I've got to meet nice people like you.
http://sytiva.blogspot.com/

Clarabelle Rant said...

Yes! I'm wishing it was the end of week 4. And, NO...I have so many more blogs to visit :)

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Sophie Duncan said...

Sounds like an interesting premise for the story, pity it was only an 'ok' episode, but every series is allowed them, as long as there aren't too many :) Interesting snippet about sponsorship getting in the way of a valid line!
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
FB3X
Wittegen Press

Jeffrey Scott said...

I've been having lots of fun A-Z. This is really enjoyable. But truth be told, I'll feel relieved when it's over and going back to weekly r.a.n.t.s instead of daily. Yesterday I had plans all day so had to 'whip one up' in under 30 minutes. It usually takes me a few hours on my blog posts, even when it's simple. Mostly because of research and/or editing. I admit, I didn't do much editing on yesterday's till this morning. LOL Wow, a lot about me. Well, you asked. :)

Anyway, great post as always. This is one of the blogs that I have come to love. So yes, been finding a lot of cool blogs and bloggers. Now I'm off to have a tray brought up.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Chrys, tsk, tsk, tks, grown-ups will fight over anything.

Megan, I agree, they are brilliant!

Susan, it's a lot like those dreams.

Jo, agreed.

Alex, I think it was more about the money than the tea. But yes, it is silly.

Thank you, Sytiva, I'm glad you're having fun! I am, too. I'm happy we connected as well.

Clarabelle Rant, I wish it was week 4, too. The feeling of being done is wonderful! So many blogs, so little time.

Sophie, I'm sure others enjoyed it more than I did. However, using it allowed me to add something new to my treasure of Twilight Zone Trivia.

Thank you, Jeffery. I'm glad you're enjoying the posts. I'm having fun thinking deeper about why I like each of these episodes. Enjoy your tray of tea. :D

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

The challenge is going great thanks - have met lots of lovely people and learned so many things. Hope you have too :)
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Share this: