Friday, April 10, 2015

I is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 

      I is for It's A Good Life      


Twilight Zone: 
Season 3, Episode 8
It's a Good Life (3 Nov. 1961) 
In a small Ohio farming community, six-year-old Anthony Fremont (Billy Mummy) terrorizes the town with his mental powers. He's banished all the things a six-year old hates: soap, school, barking dogs, etc., into the mysterious cornfield; a place from which nothing ever returns. Whenever you're around Anthony you must only think pleasant thoughts or he will banish you into the cornfield, too. The entire town, what's left of it, is fearful of Anthony and his godlike abilities. Finally at a birthday party an intoxicated townsperson confronts Anthony pleading with the other townsfolk to take action to free them from Anthony's tyranny. Watch the full episode here.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) Poster
Fear Can Hold You Prisoner
Hope Can Set You Free
  Musings:   This is one of the more familiar Twilight Zone episodes, it's title, It's a Good Life, has even become part of our American vernacular. Each time I watch this episode I resist the urge to throw something at the TV out of frustration. As a writer, I know it is good to get your audience emotionally involved with the scene, as the audience, I want to scream, Do something! One townsperson risks his life to finally get the town free, yet they do nothing. Their fear holds them prisoner. Last year my husband built me a picture framed jewelry box for my birthday. On the front is a poster from The Shawshank Redemption. Each morning the picture reminds me to not let fear imprison me like the folks in this small Ohio town. It reminds me to always have hope because hope is the thing that will set me free. 

Do you feel hope can set you free? Has it helped you overcome your fears? How do you tackle things that make you afraid? 



12 comments:

Misha Gericke said...

It's sad to think how many people do nothing because fear holds them captive.

Sophie Duncan said...

I think I'd scream at the TV too! Fear is a difficult thing to overcome - I don't think any of us know what we will brave until the moment happens, but that doesn't mean we can't strive past our own fears.
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
FB3X
Wittegen Press

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I'm always reminded of the Simpsons episode where Bart has similar powers :) Hope is an incredibly powerful force - it can change lives.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Annalisa Crawford said...

Children with powers can be so creep!

Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

Chrys Fey said...

No soap? Uh oh! That's not good for the germaphobes. lol

Julie Flanders said...

There's nothing creepier than stories about children with supernatural powers like this. Yikes!
I would love that jewelry box - what a great idea. The Shawshank is my favorite movie ever.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fear is the greatest controlling force in the world.
That was cool your husband made a jewelry box for you.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I think I confront my fears most of the time. I don't remember that episode. I'll have to look it up.

Jo said...

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Never a truer word

Liz A. said...

Ah, finally an episode I've seen. Didn't they do that one in the movie, too? But with a slightly different ending?

Hope and fear. Those are hard.

Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

Jeffrey Scott said...

Billy Mummy has been in so many great things. Also loved him in Lost in Space and Babylon 5.

Clarabelle Rant said...

Don't all parents feel imprisoned by a petulant child at times ;)

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies. Congrats to your husband on a really great gift!

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Share this: