Thursday, April 9, 2015

H is for...

I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.


Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 

      H is for (The)  Howling Man      


Image result for the howling man twilight zone Twilight Zone: 
Season 2, Episode 5
The Howling Man 
(4 Nov. 1960) 
Told as a flashback, American David Ellington (H.M. Wynant) shares a personal incident that occurred while hiking through post World War I Europe. Lost and rain-drenched he seeks refuge in a castle near the village of Schwarzwald, but is told he cannot stay. While leaving he collapses and wakes to the wolf-like howls of a prisoner. Ellington investigates and finds a seemingly cultured man imprisoned only by a small Staff of Truth which he himself could easily remove, yet does not. When informed of the prisoners true nature by his host, Brother Jerome, Ellington makes a decision that will haunt him for the rest of his life. Watch the full episode here.

  Musings:   The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding. -ALBERT CAMUS, The Plague 

There are many reasons I love watching The Twilight Zone, mostly because Rod Serling managed to break things, like evil, down to a personal level. Although this episode is about one person releasing evil into the world that goes on to cause World War II, the Korean War, and the development of nuclear weapons, to me the real question is how often do I take time to understand my good intentions? An example of this I regularly share with my children is an episode of The Simpsons where Homer gets non-bowling Marge a birthday gift; a bowling ball with the name Homer engraved on it. (Singing Sirloin BirthdayIt's supposed to be a gift for her and Homer is the name of the bowling ball, but we all know it's his way of getting her something he wants. He even says, "If you don't want it I know someone who does." As I watch this episode of The Twilight Zone, I wonder how many times I do something that's really best for me without taking time to fully understanding the repercussions of my actions. I've never removed the Staff of Truth and released evil onto the world, but I do wonder how many bowling balls I've given away. 

How do you measure your good intentions? Have you given away a few bowling balls? Are you a Simpsons fan?

16 comments:

Debra McKellan said...

I feel like I've seen that episode, but I can't remember. I had started watching the whole series on Netflix. I'll have to start up again, and look to see what your other letters were!

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I love the Simpsons :). BTW you have got me watching old Twilight Zone eps even if I do have to go through a proxy :). I try my hardest not to give 'bowling balls'.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Bish Denham said...

I haven't watched the Twilight Zone since it came out! (Tells you how old I am...) As a young teen and they mostly spooked me, perhaps now I'd be better able to enjoy them.

And I have never watched a full episode of The Simpsons, though I'm sure I've given away my fair share of bowling balls. :)

Chrys Fey said...

I never watched The Twilight Zone, but after reading about these episodes and why you love it, I feel like I need to now.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I do sometimes question if I do good things because I want to or because I feel I should.

Jeffrey Scott said...

I love the twilight zone and love the Simpsons, though I admit I have watched neither in a long time. I really need to borrow my friends Twilight Zone collection and re-watch these. So many great episodes I want to watch again and so many I have not seen.
Whatever letter it falls under, I hope to see a review of Shatner and the plane. You know which one I mean.

Quanie Miller said...

I love the Twilight Zone (I also used to watch Tales from the Darkside). I love the question you pose here. Makes me want to explore the theme in a short story, actually. Good stuff. And lol@ Homer.

Stephen Tremp said...

I remember that episode from the Simpsons. That was from the first or second season. D-oh!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You do have to stop and think about why you are doing it, who will benefit, and who stands to lose.

LD Masterson said...

I love classic Twilight Zone and I remember this episode.

I've been guilty of a few bowling ball gifts in my day but my hubby holds the record in our house. He bought me a rifle. (I don't hunt.)

Jo said...

The road to Hell is paved with Good Intentions.

Susan Kane said...

I loved Twilight Zion! It was well written and well acted.
Thanks for your comment at my blog!

Manzanita said...

I love your theme. I used to watch TZ many years ago or listen to it on the radio, I guess. Not long ago I used to catch it on Sunday afternoon about 4 PM. Such a great show.
Thanks for stopping at my blog. It is nice to meet you.

Trisha F said...

This episode sounds very haunty! It also reminds me of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, from your description anyway. ;)

Liz A. said...

Another one I don't think I've seen. I try not to give away bowling balls. People say they like my gifts, but that might just be them being nice.

Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

Clarabelle Rant said...

I love your thoughts on this episode. Giving "bowling balls" away is such a great way to illustrate something important. I've given and received my fair share.

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Share this: