Wednesday, April 8, 2015

G is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 


      G is for (The) Grave      


Twilight Zone: 
Season 3, Episode 7
The Grave 
(27 Oct. 1961) 
When Lawman Conny Miller (Lee Marvinrides into a small town ready to kill Pinto Sykes and collect his bounty, he discovers the townsfolk have already gunned him down in an ambush. Angry about the four months he's wasted tracking the outlaw and the loss of his bounty, he takes a bet to visit the dead man's grave. Visiting the grave proves to be easy, leaving it is an entirely different matter. Watch the full episode here.


  Musings:   One of my favorite scenes in the Christmas Classic A Christmas Story is when Flick receives the TRIPLE-dog-dare to stick his tongue on the frozen flag pole. This Twilight Zone episode proves that age knows no bounds when it comes to accepting a dare. Growing up with only one parent, and an older brother as full-time babysitter, there was quite a few bets and dares in our house: I dare you to jump off the roof... bring the goat in the house... go in the candlelit bathroom and say Bloody Mary three times...the suggestions where never ending and usually fulfilled since (in our childlike brain) living with the consequences of the dare was better than living with the title of Chicken. I don't know if I'd accepted the challenge from one of my siblings to go to a graveyard in the middle of the night since the adult me still won't attend the Cinespia cemetery screenings, but I will watch a Twilight Zone where someone else takes the graveyard challenge. That counts for something... doesn't it?

Have you ever visited a graveyard at night? Chanted Bloody Mary in a candlelit bathroom mirror? 
What is the biggest dare you've accepted? 


19 comments:

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I have visited many a graveyard at night, but that's because I've had to close up after choir practice many, many times :). I'm not saying Bloody Mary in a mirror for anyone! I don't accept dares because usually there is a reason it's a dare and that's because it's ridiculous! ;)
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Trisha F said...

Graveyards are pretty spooky at night! Different story at daytime.

Your descriptions of each ep makes me want - no, NEED - to watch on!

Shell Flower said...

I've visited graveyards at night and done the bloody Mary thing in the mirror, too. As one of the youngest (a twin) of six, we were always fulfilling dares.

Chrys Fey said...

This sounds like a creepy episode.

Julie Flanders said...

The triple-dog-dare is classic. I love A Christmas Story.
The grave story sounds so creepy but also fantastic.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've visited graveyards at night on ghost tours.
Did you take the goat into the house?

Jeffrey Scott said...

Another episode I don't recall.
As for dares, I recall being dared to eat a worm and swallow it. I had been reading a book called How to Eat Fried Worms and my brother told me the guy in the book was better than me because he did it. So I tried it. As soon as the wiggly thing hit my tongue I just about spewed. It was not good and my brother laughed hysterically.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Natasha, you're a brave soul! You're a smart one, too. Dares are dares for a reason.

Hooray, Trisha F., my work here is done. A new T.Z. fan is born.

Shell, my husband is the youngest of eight. It's funny all the things the older siblings make the baby do.

Chrys, my kids say it was one of the scariest ones they remember. At 14 & 17 they still won't watch it.

Julie, I never get tired of watching A Christmas Story. The Grave is a good and creepy episode.

Alex, yes we did and of course she pooped! The things you do when you're mom's not home.

Jeffery, I remember that book. but I didn't eat any worms. Brothers are so kind (not!).

Stephen Tremp said...

Another classic episode. Its fun to see movie stars who got their start in Twilight Zone shows.

Jo said...

Don't remember any dares, but as for graveyards, the quickest way home from the bus stop was through a graveyard. It never occurred to me to worry about it although it was the same place that Pip, in Great Expectations, met the convict.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I think I remember watching this one with my dad LONG ago. Such a great memory.

Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

cleemckenzie said...

That episode with Lee Marvin still shakes me up.

Have you found the one about the writer yet? I'd love to see that again.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I don't remember this episode but I'm going to watch it if I have time.
I broke my ankle for the first time on a double-dare.

Bonnie Gwyn said...

Oh my! I love cemeteries/graveyards in daylight. I love the history and stories and just seeing the names of people who lived and died. But at night, probably not so much!
Did you jump off the roof?

Nick Wilford said...

Don't mind gravestones at all. When I was younger, me and my friends used to walk home through a graveyard. Now I take the dogs to visit Andrew twice a day and of course it's dark in winter. Your brother had some mean dares!

Liz A. said...

I don't think I've ever seen that episode. But they always seem to end with a stinger, don't they?

Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

Cathrina Constantine said...

As a teenager I'd meet friends and talk in a graveyard.

Kern Windwraith said...

Oh, it's been so long since I watched the Twilight Zone, but that theme song can still give me chills. After this post, I'm going to have to download some episodes and dive in!

My daughter fell in love with graveyards at a very young age (I think she was about 5), and we spent many reflective afternoons and evenings walking through the graveyard in Vancouver. I don't remember spending much time there at night though...

Clarabelle Rant said...

When I was in college we dared ourselves to play the Ouija board at one of the old cemeteries in Salem, MA. It was cold and nothing happened. We laugh about it all the time now :)

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Share this: