Tuesday, April 7, 2015

F is for...



I'm taking part in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join the fun.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme –  This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 

      F is for Four O'Clock      


Image result for four o clock twilight zoneTwilight Zone:  Season 3, Episode 29 Four O'Clock 
(6 Apr. 1962) 
An eye for an eye; a tooth for a tooth is the motto that hangs on Oliver Crangle's wall (Theodore Bikelwall). Oliver is fanatical about exposing all the evil in the world. From the apartment he shares with his parrot, Peter, he maintains records of people he believes to be evil and/or harmful to society. Frustrated with the non-compliance of higher authorities to deal with these derelicts of society, he devises a plan that will go into effect at four o'clock. His plan will transform all the evil people thereby exposing them once and for all. Watch the episode here.

  Musings:    While seeking revenge, dig two graves - one for yourself. -Douglas Horton. It's too bad Oliver Crangle didn't read this quote before he began his plan to exact revenge on those he disagreed with. It is impossible to live a life where you are in complete and total agreement with those around you. Disharmony is a part of life. At one time or another, you will find someone who you disagree with, the question is how will you handle it? Nehemiah Trot, from Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book,  believes revenge is a dish best served cold. Although I appreciate the poet's advice, I prefer to work toward forgiveness. This path is not necessarily the easier one, but I've found it's often the healthier one since, as author Marianne Willamson says Unforgiveness is like drinking poison yourself and waiting for the other person to die.

How do you deal with revenge? Confrontation? Forgiveness? Devise plans similar to Oliver Crangle's? 


11 comments:

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

Success is the best revenge, or so they say :) Most people who are nasty end up alone and unhappy - I think that is revenge enough, unless they have done something to warrant justice, as which point I say call in the right people.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Chrys Fey said...

A plan to expose all the evil people? Sounds like something we should do now. ;)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I think it's only human to consider revenge at times, but our better natures help us overcome the instinct to get back at those who have harmed us. Usually time will dry up that thirst for revenge.

Stephen Tremp said...

Love all those TWilight Zone episodes. I;ll have to check on for T as my favorite is Talkie Teena.

Jeffrey Scott said...

I disagree with your post!
NO, just kidding. It was great. I don't recall this episode. I'll have to check it out.

As for revenge, I'm currently writing the second part to a short story series called 'Revenge'. So this topic is near and dear to my heart.

Well, not really. But you know what I mean.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sadly, revenge never works and hurts the person attempting it far more.

Jo said...

I don't ever remember having to deal with revenge. Just as well I suppose.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Natasha, remind me to not get on your bad side. :D

Chrys, it is something we need today. Would there be anyone left?

Susan, time does heal wounds. I love your thirst analogy.

Stephen, that is one of my favorite ones, too.

Haha, Jeffery, yes, I know what you mean... at least I think I do.

Very true, Alex.

Jo, you're one fortunate woman!

Clarabelle Rant said...

Marianne Williamson is another fantastic quote! I always feel like revenge is being stuck on repeat and your life becomes stagnant.

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Annalisa Crawford said...

I have never found myself in a position of needing/wanting to take revenge. It just wouldn't be something I'd consider. I'm not sure how I'd react if someone did something very bad towards me.

Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

Toinette Thomas said...

I don't remember this episode and will definitely have to check it out.

Share this: