Monday, April 6, 2015

E is for...


I'm taking part in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join the fun.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 

                E is for Eye of the Beholder         


Twilight Zone: 
Season 2, Episode 6
Eye of the Beholder 
(11 Nov. 1960)
Janet Tyler (Donna Douglashas undergone her eleventh treatment (the maximum number legally allowed) in an attempt to look like everybody else. She is described as being "not normal" by the nurses and doctor. Janet hopes that her bandages are removed she will be normal and avoid banishment to a segregated colony of similar looking people. Ultimately, Janet learns that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Watch the episode here.


  Musings:   Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. -Confucius This is another one of those made you think episodes that Rod Serling was so very good at creating. It isn't until the very end that we see what this world deems beautiful and it's very different from what most of us have been taught. Growing up my mother was diligent in teaching her four children that beauty wasn't only external, but internal as well. It's not just about how others see you but how you see yourself and the world around you. I think Emerson said it best: Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

How do you carry beauty within you? Have you traveled around the world looking for the beautiful? Did you know Donna Douglas also played Elly May Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies




13 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

I love the Emerson quote. I see beauty all around me, even on my walk to work. I'm that random person standing in the middle of the road looking up at a perfect cloud :-)

Trisha F said...

Intriguing idea for an episode! I'd be curious what I would find when I got to that "rejects" land for weirdo looking people ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I remember that episode. The odd ones were the least odd.

Chrys Fey said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..nice lesson.

Jeffrey Scott said...

Always loved this episode. And so true of human society. Outward beauty only seems to be what the masses dictate it to be. If the majority of our populace suddenly decided being overweight was more attractive than being thin, you can bet 80% of the models would be plus sizes. Truth is, you can't judge a book by it's cover. Unless it's a Dr.Suess book, then judge away.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I remember that episode. Beautiful is different depending on the viewer. I hope I taught my children that.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Annalisa, I'm sure your desire to seek beauty in a could has made your life, and the lives of those around you, more beautiful!

Trisha, I'd be curious, too.

Alex, very true.

It is a great lesson, Chrys. It makes the world a better place.

Jeffrey, haha! Love the Dr. Seuss analogy!

Susan, since it's in your heart, you probably passed it on.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Rod Serling was awesome at getting a point across. I didn't see this episode. Loved the show. Also loved The Beverly Hillbillies and Elly May!

Jo said...

Elly May (Donna Douglas) died recently did you know?

Shell Flower said...

Cool theme! Rod Serling really came up with some trippy ideas. I just watched a movie (The Rewrite) last night that referenced his carousel episode, so yeah, definitely feelin' the Twilight Zone vibe!

Clarabelle Rant said...

I love your quotes and can't pick a favorite! We can get lost in seeing what's truly beautiful.

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Debra McKellan said...

Ah, yes, probably one of the most remembered episodes!

Toinette Thomas said...

I always loved that episode. 'To each his own' is close,but not quit enough. 'The eye of the beholder' is more like it. In all honesty, I wish people would stop trying to measure beauty or seek it and just accept that everything can be beautiful; unfornately this isn't true. There are some ugly things in this world, but it not the people, it's some of the things they do.

Share this: