Saturday, April 4, 2015

D is for...



I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotes My theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 



      D is for Dead Man's Shoes      


Twilight Zone: 
Season 3, Episode 18 
Dead Man's Shoes 
(19 Jan. 1962)
When homeless man, Nate Bledsoe, (Warren Stevens), wakes to find a man murdered by the mob dumped in the alley near him, he decides to take his shoes. The shoes infuse him with the personality and memories of the murdered victim. Nate returns to the victim’s apartment confusing the girlfriend who recognizes his kiss and mannerisms, but not his face. Nate continues as the dead man seeking revenge against the mob boss who gunned him down. This time it seems nothing will stop him from succeeding. Watch the full episode here.

  Musings:   This episode of The Twilight Zones gives an entirely new twist to the old saying, "You can't really understand someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes." Although some folks have taken this literally, putting on a pair of work boots or high heels and walking around. For me walking a mile in someone's shoes means to have empathy and compassion for them since we are unaware of what trials they may be facing. It also reminds me of the sixth commandment, 'thou shalt not kill.' However if, by no fault of your own, you find you must break this commandment, be sure to take their shoes.

How do you show empathy for your fellow man? Have you ever walked a mile (figuratively or literally) in someone else's shoes?

11 comments:

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

The Twilight Zone had so many amazing ideas. I often try to visualise what it is like to be in someone else's shoes, but I'm not sure it's totally possible unless you've been there. I do believe if there were more empathy in the world it would probably be a nicer place to live.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Sophie Duncan said...

A very literal interpretation of the saying, indeed. I think we should all try and understand a little bit more about each other.
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
FB3X
Wittegen Press

Annalisa Crawford said...

I shall also be careful of removing the shoes of corpses unless I know them - social etiquette is a minefield, isn't it? ;-)

Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

Chrys Fey said...

Never put on a dead man's shoes! AH! lol

cleemckenzie said...

I don't remember that episode, but it sounds as bizarre as many that I do. Love these.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Sounds like just the right amount of creepiness for The Twilight Zone.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Those were some powerful shoes.

Lisa said...

I am watching all the Twilight Zone episodes on Netflix right now and haven't see this one yet! I can't wait. Sounds great, just like your theme. So glad you dropped by my blog and left a comment! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

Jeffrey Scott said...

I've walked out of the house with my shoes on the wrong feet before. Awkward. Still don't understand how I didn't notice that earlier.

Clarabelle Rant said...

It's always good to be reminded of how lucky you are in the world we live in. Perspective is a life saver :)

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Toinette Thomas said...

This is one of those episodes that sticks with you years down the rode. It makes you take a look at yourself and ask if you have shown empathy and compansion. Volunteering my time and giving to charitiable organizations is my way of waling in the shoes of those less fortunate, but it's not the same. I really don't know what it feels like to go hungry.
Great post.

Share this: