Friday, April 3, 2015

C is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 


      C is for (The) Changing of the Guard      


Twilight Zone: Season 3, Episode 37
(1 Jun. 1962) 
Professor Ellis Fowler(Donald Henry Pleasence), an elderly English literature teacher at Rock Spring School for Boys, learns that after 50 years of teaching he is being forced into retirement. Looking through his old yearbooks and reminiscing about his former students, one of which is the grandson of a former student, he becomes convinced that all of his lessons have been in vain and that he has accomplished nothing with his life. Despondent, he returns home prepared to end it all. Before he can take action, he is visited by some very special students from the past who give him reasons to reconsider his plans.  Watch it here

  Musings: "A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." -Henry Adams. As a (former) teacher this episode speaks volumes to me. Not that I want to see the ghosts of my former students, but how wonderful it would be to know the effect I had on them... how wonderful it would be for all teachers to know this. For most teaching is an act of love-- the pay is bad, the 'atta boys are few, and your career often ends with very little pomp and circumstance. Yet most of us can remember a teacher who changed our lives (hopefully for the good) forever. I hope that one day, like Professor Ellis, all teachers can discover how they affected eternity. 

Were you fortunate enough to have a teacher affect your eternity? If so, who and how?




15 comments:

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I remember many of my teachers with great fondness, but I think the two I remember the most are Miss Spittal (and I apologise if I've spelt that wrong, I don't think I ever had to write it down), my Scottish English teacher who could bring Shakespeare to life like you would not believe and Mr Stockwell my Physics teacher who helped us prepare an experiment to go up on the Space Shuttle.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Zannie Shaman said...

Miss Butler, later Mrs Briers was my English teacher and I looked forward to her lessons- she even made grammar bearable. Who knows what might have happened if we had Miss West instead- she would have killed my love of words stone dead.

I used to love Twilight Zone- guess it is on cable these days?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It might not seem like it at the time, but a teacher has a huge impact on his students. I still remember my music teacher from high school.

Chrys Fey said...

Funny you said that because a couple of weeks ago I sent letters out to about 8 of my favorite teachers who impacted me. I got two replies back so far and the one said she was delight and flattered to get my letter. And that teachers love hearing from students, particularly ones like me. :)

Sophie Duncan said...

My twin sister, Natasha has stolen my teachers' names, because I would definitely have to agree with her, Miss Spittal showed me the joys of English and Mr Stockwell made physics one of the most inspiring things of my life by letting us help build the experiment we sent up on the NASA shuttle.
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
FB3X
Wittegen Press

Jeffrey Scott said...

Mrs. Olsen was a middle school English teacher. She forced us to keep journals. In the journals we had to write a paragraph a day on whatever we wanted. She offered several suggestions. As I kept up the journal I discovered it wasn't so much a chore, it was actually fun. My paragraphs got longer and soon I was writing full pages. These pages led to weekly updates of stories I was writing. Thus created my love for writing. She was a big influence on my writing.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I had so many special teachers and I was one myself for 34 years. I have a small stack of letters and cards from students that I will always cherish.

Jo said...

I had so many teachers, some of whom I remember, some not (10 different schools during the war years). I don't remember any one affecting me particularly.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I guess it's true that teachers never really know the impact they have on their students. I see my old English teacher almost every day, these days, because I work at the gym he's a member of. I never found the right time to tell him I was a writer, so someone else did :-)

Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

Nick Wilford said...

Yes, my history teacher made the subject so exciting! I'm still fascinated by anything to do with the past.

LD Masterson said...

Mr. Ryder. American History, 10th grade. He made it come alive.

Clarabelle Rant said...

Mrs. Tomlinson my 11th grade American Lit class teacher. Updike, Steinbeck and Hemingway are not the most fun reads.She'd put us in a huge circle and make us talk it out until we found the symbolism/themes on our own. She made it a treasure hunt. BEST CLASS EVER!

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Scribbles From Jenn said...

,
,
Natasha, wow, lucky you! A great physics and Shakespeare teacher? Amazing!

Zannie, I wish I'd had someone make grammar bearable.

Alex, I'm sure your music teacher would be proud of his/her influence on your life.

Chyrs, I would LOVE to get a letter from former student. I would definitely write back.

Sophie, Natasha is your twin?? How cool is that! It's confirmed, those two teachers were awesome.

Jeffery, those words are music to a teacher's ears. Funny how writing sneaks into one's blood.

Jo, That is a lot of schools.

Annalisa, how nice someone told him for you. I bet it put a smile on his face.

L.D. and Nick, history is a tough one to make exciting. You are blessed to have someone who made it happen.

Clarabelle Rant, your class sounds a lot like my girl's and she loves her class, too!

Toinette Thomas said...

Another great episode with a Christmas Carol-like theme. I had a few teachers in my time that made quite the difference, but life has been my best teacher.

Mary Malhotra said...

Checking your post out way after the fact! But I have to say this TZ episode really stayed with me, mostly because I loved the quotations that the students had learned from the old professor. One of my favorite teachers was Ms. Dampier, a young English teacher who gave me my first real lessons in revision, especially the concept that you don't have to do it completely on your own.

Share this: