Thursday, April 2, 2015

B is for...


I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 


                B is for (The) Bewitchin' Pool         


Twilight Zone: 
Season 5, Episode 36
The After Hours (19 Jun. 1964) sWhile Sport and her younger brother Jeb Sharewood are sitting poolside, a young boy pops up from the deep end of the pool and invites them to follow him. They dive in and emerge in a lake bordering a rustic, homestead. All around them are children swimming, fishing, and playing. This place is a stark contrast to their expensive house, and cold, self-centered parents. Here they are welcomed and loved immediately by the only adult, an elderly loving Aunt. When told this is a place for unwanted children, Sport assures Jeb that they don't belong here and must go home. Back home they discover that their parents are getting a divorce and the kids must decide who they will live with. Now Sport and Jeb must decide whether they will live in their world or travel to the idyllic world full of joyful children and an elderly loving Aunt. Watch the full episode here.


  Musings:   Whether your world is idyllic or not, the idea of having a portal at the bottom of your pool, in your closet (Narnia), or through the looking glass (Alice), having one would be super COOL! I was fortunate to have a loving Mom who was more like Aunt T., than Jeb's parents, but as a kid, I often fantasized about a magical portal into another world. Hasn't every kid?

Do you believe in portals? Would you travel through one to get to an idyllic location? Which type of portal would you like to travel through?


15 comments:

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I fantasised about magical portals as a child, but I was always terrified there would be no way home. I remember seeing Doctor Who where they ended up through a portal and the idea of that happening was terrible to me.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I've always wanted to go through the Stargate and see other planets. I don't remember that episode.

Chrys Fey said...

Now whenever I go into a pool, I'm going to think of this. lol

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't remember that one, but what a decision. And yes, I always wanted to find a portal.

Bonnie Gwyn said...

Man, I haven't seen that show in so long! Great theme and post! :) Good luck with A-Z.

Sabrina A. Fish said...

Have you seen Coraline? A seriously dark rendition of the portal to a better/worse life for sure. Gave me the creeps and I'll never look at portals the same again.

I love your theme!

Jeffrey Scott said...

It's been a long time since I've seen this episode. I remember loving it as a child. To this day I still eye the bottom of pools suspiciously.

As for portals, one of my favourite games is called Portal. A, sometimes, creepy puzzle game where you use portals to try and escape rooms you are trapped in.

Julie Flanders said...

I've always wanted to find a portal. Although if I did I'd probably be too chicken to go through it LOL.
This is a really fun idea for a theme!

Jo said...

Don't remember portals when I was a child, associate it more with my adult reading. I would love to try one or more although maybe not such a good idea at my time of life.

Clarabelle Rant said...

As an adult I would stay home with the knowledge of, "the devil you know" and "it's too good to be true." As a child, I may have stayed ;) I dreamed of portals, too.

I'm crazy in love with your theme!

You can find me here:
ClarabelleRant

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Natasha, yes getting back home is a HUGE priority.

Susan, count me in for the Stargate!

Chrys, I never thought of it that way, but now I will.

Yes, Alex, it would be a tough decision.

Thanks, Bonnie. I LOVE The Twilight Zone.

Sabrina, Coraline was one of my portal thoughts, but you're right, it is pretty creepy.

Jeffery, Portal sounds like a fun game. I'll need to check it out.

Thanks, Julie. I like to think I'd have the courage to go through, but would I???

Jo, maybe you would find a time travel portal. :)

Clarabelle glad you're enjoying the theme as much as me!

Fran Clark said...

Oh I'd love a magical portal. Maybe two, if that's allowed. One where I can just relax and get away from everything that I stress myself about. The other one would a place for fresh ideas and creative stimuli.

Sophie Duncan said...

I always loved the wardrobe that led to Narnia, it suggested such great adventures! I don't know if I'd ever be brave enough to go through a portal like that (I'm a bit of a home body).
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
FB3X
Wittegen Press

Debra McKellan said...

The many dreams I've had where I climb into my closet and nothing happens. lol

But I remember this episode! I remember thinking that it doesn't mean the parents don't want them!

Toinette Thomas said...

Oh to find a portal to a world where people find a way to live harmoniously with all their differences and don't go to war; not a perfect world, just a world without war. Great episode; totally forgot about it.

Share this: