Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A is for...

I'm participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge where for the month of April I will blog the letters of the alphabet in order every day except Sundays. The participation list is HERE -- if you want to join in.

Before I begin, let me first say THANK YOU to Arlee Bird, the brain child behind this challenge, and his team of minions for all the work they do to make A to Z a roaring success. Happy A-Day Everyone! 


Image result for twilight zone quotesMy theme – This month I am blogging about a classic television series, The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American television anthology series created by Rod Serling where ordinary people find themselves in extraordinary situations. It is a series of unrelated stories containing drama, psychological thriller, fantasy, science fiction, and suspense, often concluding with an unexpected twist. 


      A is for (The) After Hours      

Twilight Zone: Season 1, Episode 34
The After Hours (10 Jun. 1960)
Marsha White (Anne Francis) visits a department store looking for a gold thimble as a gift for her mother. When she can't find it an elevator operator suggests she try the 9th floor. When delivered to the ninth floor, Marsha discovers it's abandoned, but not before the elevator door closes, leaving her stranded. Suddenly, a sales clerk arrives with a gold thimble, which she purchases. In the returned elevator Marsha notices the thimble is scratched. When she tries to complain she is told the store doesn't have a ninth floor. As she is pursing this issue she notices a mannequin who bears a striking resemblance to the sales woman on the mysterious ninth floor. Marsha's return visit to the mystifying ninth floor reveals her dilemma. Watch the full episode here.

  Musings:   "To Thy Own Self Be True" -Shakespeare. This episode of The Twilight Zone reminds me that it is always best to remember who you are and to stay true to yourself. It doesn't matter if others see you as stiff and unbending, you, and those who know and love you, know who you really are. As for what movie remake resembles The After Hours, it's Mannequin (1987) starring Andrew McCarthy, Kim Cattrall, and Estelle Getty.


20140507-080112.jpg

Today is also the first Wednesday of the month which means it's time for another IWSG post. What's my writing insecurity this month? It's an easy one, will I be able to finish this challenge and visit all the blogs I love!?!? I'll give it my best shot.

Are you part of the A to Z Challenge? Insecure about anything? Staying true to yourself?



14 comments:

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Jenn,

I'm sure you'll get through the Challenge. As to visits though, not sure you'll get to everybody you love. Things do get crazy.

I wasn't a fan of the Twilight Zone. I like things nice and safe an normal. :)

Christine Rains said...

What a great theme! I use to watch a lot of the Twilight Zone. Good luck with the Challenge. You can do it! :)

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

I've not seen much of the original Twilight Zone - sounds like a good episode. I shall have to go look it up now to find out more details :).
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm not sure if the Twilight Zone was ever shown in the UK, but we had Tales of the Unexpected, which was similar. I loved those scary/spooky stories - even though I did have to hide behind a cushion while I watched.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Creepy. Surprised it wasn't the 13th floor instead.
You'll be able to finish!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I am so going to enjoy your theme. I thought I only remembered a few Twilight Zones but I remember this one now that you described. Does our entire generation think mannequins are creepy?

Toinette Thomas said...

I love your theme for the A-Z challenge; huge Twilight Zone fan. Plus, I like your tie into a movie. I think you’ll finish the challenge and I’ll be rooting the whole way. Thanks or participating.

Chrys Fey said...

I never watched The Twilight Zone. I bet I would've liked them though. :)

-Chrys Fey
Tremp’s Troops - A to Z Co-co-host
Write with Fey

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks for the encouragement,J.L.. I like normal, too, but since it never is, the Twilight Zone helped me see things from a different perspective.

Thank you, Christine! I'm going to do my best.

Natasha, the original is much better than the remakes. Click on the link in the post and see for yourself.

Annalisa, no Twilight Zone in the UK!?! For shame!

Thanks, Alex. You're right, 13 would have been better.

Susan, it's wonderful how the episodes come back to you. Yes, we do because they are kinda creepy. ;)

Thank you for the encouragement, Toinette. Always love meeting a new Twilight Zone fan!!

Chris, I think you might have liked them.

Jo said...

Never seen this series, but that sounds really scary. Good choice for A to Z.

Lidy Wilks said...

I grew up watching the Twilight Zone and other similar shows. Loved the Mannequin too, although the sequel was only so-so to me. I'd say my favorite Twilight episode is the one where the MC didn't want to choose a different look for herself. She liked who she was and how she looked. But the episodes end with a changed appearance. Anyways, good luck with your A to Z Challenge.

Trisha F said...

I never saw this show at all, so I'm not sure I will be much use in commenting on your posts. But I am definitely interested in learning about old TV shows, so it should be interesting. :)

Clarabelle Rant said...

What Happened to her??? You know your posts are about to start me on a binge watch of TZ!

Jeffrey Scott said...

What a classic episode. I do love the Twilight Zone though my most recent splurge was the Outer Limits complete (original) series. Amazing how many "modern" movies are based off of some of these older B/W shows. I think it would have been funnier if she were on the 13th floor. Just a tad more creepier and make a certain sort of sense.

Great topic, I think I'll be back to read the rest of your A-Z posts.

Share this: