Wednesday, January 7, 2015


It's the first Wednesday of the month time for another IWSG post where we writers help each other deal with our insecurities. A warm thank you to Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and his team of Ninjas, for providing writer's a safe and supportive format to speak openly, and without fear, about the insecurities that come with the craft of writing. Be sure to check out the IWSG Facebook page where writers can garner support more than once a month.

As I was perusing the Internet for a quote to sum up how I feel this month about writing, I came across this one-- It's an old adage that the way to be safe is never to be secure... Each one of us requires the spur of insecurity to force us to do our best.Harold W. Dodds After completing what I hope to be the final draft of my story, I can only hope Mr. Dodds is correct in that my insecurities forced me to do my best.

Once a month for almost two years I've shared my writing insecurities with you, Can I get it done? Will I like it? Will anyone read it? Now that my story is in the hands of my beta readers, I have a new worry... Am I ready for the next step? 

Writing the story had it's highs and lows. Some days I felt like I was writing the next Newberry other days... well, we don't talk about those. Now comes the hard part, letting go. I know we have all heard that Disney song a bazillion times, but sometimes letting go is the hardest part. I take solace in Mr. Dodd's quote that my insecurity forced me to do my best. I just hope my best is good enough.

Have you finished a book and let it go? Was it easy? Hard? Did you sing the Disney song while you submitted? Most importantly, did you survive the process of letting go? 

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If it's the best you can do, it's time to take the next step.
I've let it go to my critique partners and then let it go to my publisher. All I can do is hope for the best each time.

Chrys Fey said...

I've always said that insecurity can be good. It pushes us to try harder. I have had to let go of a few works. It was hard the first time, I was very insecure. But it gets easier.

Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

Julie Flanders said...

Congrats on finishing and send your book out to your partners! I'm sure you will rock the next step.
Love that quote - I've never thought about insecurity as something that could be positive.

S.P. Bowers said...

To go along with your insecurity quote I once heard 'Contentment is the death of art'. Sometimes we need to be challenged to bring out the best of ourselves.

Lynda R Young said...

I love that quote. I should stick it to my computer where I can read it every day.

Cynthia said...

Yay on finishing your project!

I know what you mean about letting go. At times, I feel relief (the book isn't in my hands anymore, ha!) and at other times I feel stressed out (the book isn't in my hands anymore, ah!)


Sherry Ellis said...

You never know how a manuscript will be received. You just have to let it go and see what happens.

Heather Musk said...

Good luck letting your story go. I haven't found myself in that position yet, but I wonder how I'll be when the time comes.

Lisa said...

I did let it go and I didn't sing the song because the song wasn't invented yet! And when I let it go I thought/felt it was the best it could be. Then I realized all the things I done wrong in the novel, the writing, the mistakes, the typos, well, not everything but enough I hired an editor, then another one, and now, now, I KNOW I have the best novel I can make with that story. It took three years to get to that point, so don't worry, or feel alone. It is a process and you will learn a lot from it and all that learning will make you better than you ever dreamed you could be. Good luck, and Happy New Year! Lisa @ http://celticadlx.blogspot.com

Share this: