Wednesday, December 10, 2014


It's the second Wednesday, time for my Book of the Month post where I highlight a random book that I've enjoyed at some point in my life. It may be an award winner, or just a winner to me, but I'll share my thoughts and would love to hear yours.

This month I'm highlighting the Caldecott Honor-winning classic bestselling picture-book No, David by David Shannon, who started his career before he started school. At five years old he wrote and illustrated his first book. Each page had two words, No, David! ...along with pictures of David doing things he wasn't supposed to be doing. In 1999 I had the good fortune of meeting David Shannon. I was teaching first grade and he was the featured author at a small bookstore in Ventura Calif., where we went for a field trip. Sadly, that bookstore no longer exists, but Mr. Shannon has gone on to write a series of books about David, as well as write and illustrate many other books for children. I have been a fan of David Shannon since that first meeting when he managed to keep two classes of excited first graders completely engaged for a full thirty minutes. 

My kids graduated from picture books almost a decade ago, but, we still like to read them. Sometimes it's nice to bake a batch of cookies, curl up on the couch, and read a dozen or so picture books just to make you feel like a kid again. 

Are you a fan of David? Do you cast aside your pictureless books for ones with pictures every now and then? What do you do to make you feel like a kid again?

.

4 comments:

Angela Verges said...

No David is a part of my picture book library. David reminds me of my son when he was younger...always doing something. Or in the words of my now teen, "he's doing too much."

I am a fan of David

LD Masterson said...

It's been a long time since we've have any picture book readers in the house but I still have a few Christmas ones that come out every year with the decorations. Sometimes one of the "grown up kids" will take that memory walk.

cleemckenzie said...

I delight in good picture books. I have a small collection of books I originally bought to give to my kids. I couldn't. They'll be part of my estate. :-)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Angela, I have a son like that, too. That could be why I'm also a fan of David.

L.D., I put out Christmas books, too!

C.Lee, I have some books that I acquired that same way.

Share this: