Wednesday, November 12, 2014









Welcome to my first Book of the Month post where I will highlight a random book that I've enjoyed at some point in my life. It may be an award winner or just a winner to me, but I'll share my thoughts and would love to hear yours.

This month in honor of its 25th anniversary, I'm sharing The True Story of The 3 Little Pigs. I discovered this book when I was teaching first grade and immediately fell in love with it. My students and I enjoyed hearing this familiar nursery tale told from the Wolf's point of view. Who knew Alexander P. Wolf was framed? Who knew all he wanted was a cup of sugar for his dear old granny's birthday cake? Who knew that all this time we didn't know the real story!?!

Jon Scieska's was a pioneer in this idea of tweaking fairy tales to keep them fresh. Many have followed in his footsteps over the past 25 years, but if you want to check out an original, check out The True Story of The 3 Little Pigs, and let me know if you think Alexander P. Wolf is a big bad wolf or if he really was framed. 

You can read more about The True (25th Anniversary) Story of the Three Little Pigs over at Publisher's Weekly.


9 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That sounds like a cute book. It kind of reminds me of the TV show OUAT time where fairy tales are given an entirely new perspective and the bad guys are always so bad, merely misunderstood.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

All he wanted was a cup of sugar? Mean little pigs.

L.G. Smith said...

Yep, that's a great one. I used to read it with my niece when she was little. I tried writing a fractured fairytale once about Snow White, but it didn't quite work out. But it's one of my favorite things to read when someone comes up with a new twist on an old story like that. Kids love it too.

Angela Verges said...

I love this story...that poor wolf was framed (-:

Leandra Wallace said...

How fun that you're featuring this! I enjoyed it as a kid, and it's now sitting in one my kidlet's book crates. Crates sound weird, but they're really bright green ones- they're cute! =) Anyhoo, we've not read it yet as it's not as bright and colorful(or short) as his two yo attention span requires at the moment. =)

Southpaw HR Sinclair said...

I remember this book and I loved it. It's about time the really story was told!

LD Masterson said...

Well, I always wondered about those pigs. But then, I like wolves.

Cynthia said...

I've read that book! If you like spoofs on the The Three Little Pigs, I'd like to recommend another book for you called The Three Ninja Pigs.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Alex, the pigs did prove to be very unneighborly.

L,G., I"m sure writing one is difficult; reading them is a lot easier.

Angela, I agree, so, so, sad for Mr. Wolf ;-p

Leandra, you have a lucky kidlet. When the time is right, I'm sure he'll love it!

H.R., it's such a great book. Who knew there was another side to the story?

L.D., it's nice the truth is out, isn't it?

Thanks, Cynthia, I've that one, too, and love them both!

Share this: