Wednesday, November 5, 2014




It's the first Wednesday of the month time for another IWSG post where we writers help each other deal with our insecurities. Thanks to Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, for providing writer's a safe and supportive format to speak openly, and without fear, about the insecurities that come with the craft of writing. Be sure to check out the IWSG Facebook page where writers can garner support more than once a month.

As this year comes to an end are you feeling a little more insecure this month than usual? Take heart, you are not alone: 

"I'm always described as 'cocksure' or 'with a swagger,' and that bears no resemblance to who I feel like inside. I feel plagued by insecurity." ~ Ben Affleck

“I've often said, the only thing standing between me and greatness is me.” ~ Woody Allen


Anger is a manifestation of a deeper issue... and that, for me, is based on insecurity, self-esteem and loneliness." ~Naomi Campbell


"The biggest insecurity I had was my singing. Even though I had sold 70 million records, there was this feeling like, I'm not good at this." ~ Jennifer Lopez


"I have the show because I'm insecure. It's my insecurity that makes me want to be a comic, that makes me need the audience." ~Ray Romano


Insecurities will always be a part of life, but I believe Dr. Seuss has the best take on it:


How do you deal with your insecurities? Do you think Dr. Seuss has the right idea?


9 comments:

T. Drecker said...

I need that Dr. Seuss quote plastered across my entire wall. Although Woody's made me nod too. Love these!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm with T. Drecker - I need to plaster that quote in giant letters somewhere near me.

Thank you for sharing these quotes.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And if they can feel insecure and still succeed, so can we!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I just keep on going when I'm feeling unsure. Very interesting quotes. I've always thought a lot of comics are sharing their insecurities.

Jonathan Schramm said...

Great post, Jenn! It's nice to know that millionaire celebrities feel insecure too. I bet they feel a ton more insecure than millionaire authors do. I mean, the authors know they did a ton of work to get where they are, while many celebs make it on a pretty face (Woody Allen aside...). Maybe that's why you never hear of authors getting into trouble or OD-ing like their celebrity counterparts? Appreciate the food for thought! And thanks for stopping by Accross the Board earlier! Really appreciate it.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

T., and Tyrean, we all need that quote plastered around.

Alex, yes we can!

Susan, I agree with you about the comics.

Jonathan, Woody Allen aside made me laugh :D You're right, authors do put in A LOT of work and most don't get to the millionaire mark. Thanks for stopping by!

LD Masterson said...

Gotta go with Dr. Seuss.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Amen Dr. Seuss! Tell them. Jennifer's quote caught be by surprise but it's great when those people think are perfect or special admit they might not feel that way.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Me, too, L.D..

I agree, Sheena-kay, it is nice to know that we are all insecure.

Share this: