Thursday, October 16, 2014

Relax

photo credit: morgantj via photopin cc
I love how Merrian-Webster defines relaxation:

re·lax·a·tion noun \ˌrē-ˌlak-ˈsā-shən, ri-ˌlak-\
-a way to rest and enjoy yourself: time that you spend resting and enjoying yourself -something that you do to stop feeling nervous, worried, etc. -the act of relaxing or state of being relaxed, a relaxing or recreative state, activity, or pastime -diversion


This weekend our family took an unplanned trip to Pismo Beach, something you can do when your vacation home is parked in your driveway, to celebrate my husband's birthday. Pismo Beach has been a favorite vacation spot for us since our early years of marriage. Back then we didn't have kids, a vacation home in the driveway, or much money. What we did have was the desire to get away and enough spare change for a room at Motel 6. The rooms were cheap and pretty bare bones, but we weren't going to Pismo Beach for the rooms, we were going for the beach... and the clam chowder. Seriously, if you like clam chowder, and haven't tasted the clam chowder from the Splash Cafe, you are missing a tiny bit of heaven on earth. 

Clam chowder isn't the only part of Pismo Beach I think of as heavenly; for me the entire town resonates heaven on earth. It's quaint, quiet (in the off-season) and somewhat quizzical in its ability to remain relatively unchanged year after year. Pismo Beach is a place where I can get away from my busy life, take a deep breath, and R-E-L-A-X. It doesn't take long, just a day or two, and I feel ready to dive back into the daily battles of revisions, rewrites, and rejections. I'm not sure if it's the town, the beach, or the calm chowder. I just know that when my battery needs to be recharged, Pismo Beach does it every time.

9 comments:

Southpaw HR Sinclair said...

I love Pismo Beach! And getting away is awesome. Love the photos.

LD Masterson said...

Everyone needs their own Pismo Beach to escape to sometimes. Glad you were able to get away.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you got away!
Those are some serious stairs in that one photo.

Stacy McKitrick said...

I remember more sand dunes at Pismo Beach, but that was back in the 70s. Drove by that city numerous times, whenever we drove up to San Francisco to visit my great-aunt. I miss living by the beach! :)

Angela Verges said...

It looks like a nice getaway.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Glad you loved the pictures, Southpaw. Happy to meet another Pismo Beach fan.

L.D., I agree, we all need our own get away.

Thanks, Alex. I'm glad I got away, too.

Stacy, lucky you! I wish I could live at the beach.

It was wonderful, Angela. I'm glad I had the chance to get away.

M. J. Joachim said...

I was reading and about to comment on the above post when I saw Pismo Beach in this one. Kudos to you for highlighting those authors, btw. Anyway, Pismo Beach is one of favorite childhood memories. We used to go there every year shortly after Christmas and spend New Year's Day there too. I even celebrated my 21st birthday there. Having such a big family and group that liked to go down every New Year's made it easy. We always stayed at the Sea Gypsy Motel. Oh the stories I could tell...like the year it snowed on the beach...yea, I've got a ton of memories and stories about Pismo Beach, clamming capitol of the world!

The Spooky Whisk said...

My tablet won't let me see the images but glad you had fun.

Southpaw HR Sinclair said...

Oh yes, I've even been clamming there.

Share this: