Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Photopin
Over the past few years I've met, either in person or on the printed page, many wonderful authors. Often I've wanted to shout from the rooftops about their writing success, and then I realized I didn't have to climb on the roof, I could just give them a shout out on my blog. So here goes...

I recently attended the Santa Clarita schmooze (A Schmooze is a gathering of children's writers and illustrators designed to share knowledge, great new
Ls, and companionship.) where I got a chance to meet Y.A. author, Amy Spaulding. Before the event, I'd never heard of her, but after the event, I was so glad to have met her. Amy is super funny and a very talented writer. At the schmooze Amy shared the pros and cons of being agented by a big house vs a little house. She said much, much, more which you can read about on the SCBWI blog under SCV Schmoozers! LOVE. REJECTION. AND ALL THINGS WRITERLY. One major thing I took away from the event was that everyone should take an Improvisation class to strengthen their public speaking skills, plus, it makes standing up in front of an audience oh so much easier! I don't have too much of a problem with public speaking, but being relaxed and funny while doing it sounds like a win, win. 

Amy Spalding lives in Los Angeles, where she writes, performs, and eats snacks. Follow her on Twitter. Like her on Facebook. Become her fan on Goodreads. Amy loves attention, so hop over to one of the above links and give Amy some of your attention.


Ink Is Thicker than Water
Ink Is Thicker Than Water
For Kellie Brooks, family has always been a tough word to define. Combine her hippie mom and tattooist stepdad, her adopted overachieving sister, her younger half brother, and her tough-love dad, and average Kellie’s the one stuck in the middle, overlooked and impermanent. When Kellie’s sister finally meets her birth mother and her best friend starts hanging with a cooler crowd, the feeling only grows stronger.

But then she reconnects with Oliver, the sweet and sensitive college guy she had a near hookup with last year. Oliver is intense and attractive, and she’s sure he’s totally out of her league. But as she discovers that maybe intensity isn’t always a good thing, it’s yet another relationship she feels is spiraling out of her control.

It’ll take a new role on the school newspaper and a new job at her mom’s tattoo shop for Kellie to realize that defining herself both outside and within her family is what can finally allow her to feel permanent, just like a tattoo.



After catching their bandmates in a compromising position, sixteen-year-old Los Angelenos Riley and Reid become painfully aware of the romance missing from their own lives. And so a pact is formed: they’ll both try to make something happen with their respective crushes and document the experiences in a shared notebook.

While Reid struggles with the moral dilemma of adopting a dog to win over someone’s heart, Riley tries to make progress with Ted Callahan, who she’s been obsessed with forever–His floppy hair! His undeniable intelligence! But suddenly cute guys are popping up everywhere. How did she never notice them before?! With their love lives going from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye, Riley and Reid realize the results of their pact may be more than they bargained for.


Amy will be in Whittier at the Whitwood Library on Saturday, October 25th @ 2:00. If you're in the neighborhood drop by and say Hi to Amy. The event is FREE and meeting new authors is always fun!

Have you met Amy? Read any of her books? What are your thoughts on taking an Improv class?

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you got to meet Amy. I'm not much for talking in front of people either, although I can do it.

Stacy McKitrick said...

The Schmooze sounds cool. I like getting together with other writers.

I really doubt a class would help me with speaking in front of crowds. My brain is usually the problem! Haha! :) But since writing (and attending conferences), I am more comfortable in crowds, so there's that.

Melissa said...

I could definitely use a public speaking class. The mere thought of it strikes terror in my gut. >.<

Crystal Collier said...

I totally agree. I was big into theater when I was younger, and that love of the stage has been a huge blessing. I can get in front of a group, no problem. One on one? Erm...we might need back up. =)

Unleashing the Dreamworld

Quanie Miller said...

Ah! I never would have thought of taking an improv class to help with public speaking. I would totally be willing to do something like that.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thank you, Alex, I am, too!

Stacy, I love crowds, talking, and people. I just need to remind my nerves of that fact.

Melissa, I love talking to the little kids, it's the big kids that give me pause.

Crystal, I wish I had joined a theater group when I was young and bold.

Me, too, Quanie me, too!

Susanne Drazic said...

An improv class sounds like an interesting idea. I don't like to do public speaking. Maybe the improv class would help me with that.

KAT Writer said...

great of you to help another author get some press.

I love the schmooze idea.

Leandra Wallace said...

Amy sounds delightful! And being funny while speaking is such a plus, I love listening to someone who can make me laugh.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Susanne, I'm thinking the same thing, too.

Kat, it's a great idea. I hope you find one in your area.

Keandra, with all the stuff going on in the world today, it is nice to just sit back and laugh.

LD Masterson said...

The Broadway musical Avenue Q had a song about Schadenfreude. It was hysterical. As is that whole show.

Very nice meeting Amy. *waves*

Share this: