Wednesday, October 1, 2014


  It's the first Wednesday of the month time for another IWSG post where we writers help each other deal with our insecurities. Thanks to Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, for providing writer's a safe and supportive format to speak openly, and without fear, about the insecurities that come with the craft of writing. Be sure to check out the IWSG Facebook page where writers can garner support more than once a month.

in·se·cu·ri·ty                                                            
ˌinsiˈkyo͝oriti/
noun 1.uncertainty or anxiety about oneself; lack of confidence."she had a deep sense of insecurity"
synonyms: lack of confidence, self-doubt, diffidence, unassertiveness, timidity, uncertainty, nervousness, inhibition; 

German psychoanalyst Eric Fromm said, “The task we must set for ourselves is not to feel secure, but to be able to tolerate insecurity." Great advice from someone who's best known for his concept of freedom being a fundamental part of human nature. From his quote am I to surmise that freedom from insecurity comes from my learning to tolerate it?

In the solitary world of writing, I've often found myself sinking in the sea of insecurity: Is my story strong enough? Will they hate my protagonist and love my antagonist? Will this story ever be finished? In a single week I can drift from the safety of my writing island of confidence to the treacherous waters of insecurity and back. Sometimes, I'm able to do it all in a single day. Can it be that the solution to all my insecurities is something as simple as tolerance? Of that I'm not sure, but I am agreement with Dr. Fromm on this:

                     

How do you find the courage to deal with your insecurities? 

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's like being brave. That doesn't mean you don't fear, you just do it anyway.

Angela Verges said...

Sometimes I need a lot of positive self talk. I recently listened to the song, "Encourage Yourself." "...sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Sometimes you have to speak victory..."

S.P. Bowers said...

I do believe that we need to learn to live with our insecurities. We'll never run out of them.

LD Masterson said...

I guess I resort to the old "what's the worst thing that can happen?". Usually, it's not that bad.

cleemckenzie said...

A little insecurity is a good thing. I keep telling myself that. It helps. A little.

Jennifer S. Pitts said...

Sometimes, Alex, we do just have to jump into the deep end of life.

Angela, music often cures the insecurity beast in me, too!

Haha! S.P., truer words were never spoken!

You are so right, L.D., it's never as bad as we imagine.

C, Lee, I think our words do help ease the stress of it all.

Share this: