Wednesday, June 11, 2014


In case you’re new to WUW, like me, it’s a blog hop created by Erin L. Funk and her sister Jaime. It's intended to help writers keep in touch with one another. If you’d like  to spread some writerly encouragement hop over to Erin or Jamie's blog and click on some of the links.

What I’m Reading: Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. It was recommend by a former critique partner. Although she fell in love with it instantly, it took me a few false starts before I decided it was a book I wanted to finish. When I did finish it, I was glad I did. I can't tell you why I didn't love it right away, maybe I was tired, sleepy, hungry, I don't know, but the second time I picked it up, I couldn't believe that I actually thought about not finishing it. Once again my theory about taking a second look at a book rings true with Mockingbird

In Caitlin’s world, everything is black or white. Things are good or bad. Anything in between is confusing. That’s the stuff Caitlin’s older brother, Devon, has always explained. But now Devon’s dead and Dad is no help at all. Caitlin wants to get over it, but as an eleven-year-old girl with Asperger’s, she doesn’t know how. When she reads the definition of closure, she realizes that is what she needs. In her search for it, Caitlin discovers that not everything is black and white—the world is full of colors—messy and beautiful. 

What I’m Writing: I'm halfway through another draft of my middle-grade realistic fiction story. After putting Martha Alderson's Plot Whisper tips into practical application, I think this could be the draft that gets this work done. 

What Inspires Me Right Now: My girl. She lives each day to its fullest and believes in the impossible. Two summers ago she took synchronized swimming for the first time ever. As part of the lessons, she was required to participate in the local competitions. After several events, she decided she was going to get a ribbon at the finals. My husband and I are firm believers in letting our kids dream their own dreams, no matter how impossible they seem to us, so we went with it; even though her chances were about 25 to 1. Well, someone has to be the 1 in those odds and it was her! We were beyond surprised when they called her name. But she wasn't. She believed in the impossible. Recently she decided she wanted to be a part of a equestrian mounted drill team. Saturday they had their first show and her team took home FIRST PLACE! I guess nothing is impossible if we try. 

What Else I've Been Up To: Besides getting this draft done? Enjoying summer!  Bill Cosby once made a comment about graduating high school four times (the number of kids he had) now that I have kids in school, I can totally relate. I don't know who enjoys summer break more, me or them!

That's What's Up This Wednesday for me. What's up with you?

P.S. Since I won't post again before Sunday, this is for all the Dad's out there... 
photo credit: Bricknave via photopin cc


4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's wonderful your daughter placed first! She was more determined than you expected.

cleemckenzie said...

It's interesting how some books just need to be eased into. I often find that started a book a second or even third time, often lets me enter a story and enjoy it.

Gina Gao said...

This is a really nice post! Thanks for sharing.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yes, Alex, she was.

I agree, Lee, sometimes it takes more than once to sync with the author's voice.

You are very welcome, Gina. Thanks for stopping by.

Share this: