Wednesday, May 28, 2014

photo credit: ClaraDon via photopin cc
This past weekend the USA celebrated Memorial Day, formerly known as Decoration Day. It is a time when our nation pauses to remember those who gave their lives for our freedom as well as spend some quality time with family and friends at backyard BBQ's  During our dinner conversation the talk turned to favorite movie lines as well as how these lines have become a part of our everyday vernacular. Often the use of one of these lines can stand in for an entire paragraph.

On this blog I have stated that one of my favorite movies is Shawshank Redemption, which I've seen many times, but, I'm always up for seeing it one more time. Although I usually don't use lines from it in my everyday lingo, I do love this line from Andy Dufresne and have managed to work it into a few conversationsHow can you be so obtuse? Fortunately, using it has never gotten me thrown into solitaire like Andy, but using it has ruffled a few feathers.

As we chowed down on grilled meat and veggies several of us shared some of our favorites:
Those are just a few of the ones mentioned, as you may have guessed, this list could go on forever. Did you spend your weekend discussing movie lines? Are see any of  your favorites listed above? If not, what are they? Maybe I can use them at the next backyard BBQ. 


7 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

What about "You talkin' to me" etc etc from Taxi Driver?

Funny how some lines become iconic and get quoted over and over again! Hope you had a great weekend.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good one, Nick!
As a movie buff, I quote movies all the time. You're right, that list could go on forever.

Angela Verges said...

I like the line from A Few Good Men - "You can't handle the truth."

I would add a line from Airforce One when Harrison Ford said, "Get off of my plane."

LD Masterson said...

One of my favorites: "I'll have what she's having." ~ When Harry Met Sally.

cleemckenzie said...

Mae West's words always make me laugh. "Come up and see me some time." I can even hear the exact intonation and see the pouty lips and dark eyes.

Nicole said...

Ah, "There's no crying in baseball" is such a classic! I have SO many favorite lines. Pretty much anything from Goonies or Princess Bride works too. :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Alex is right, Nick, that is a good one!

I like those, too, Angela.

Hahaha, L.D., that one pops in my head whenever someone orders the same thing as me.

Now that one is a classic! Thanks for sharing, C. Lee.

Oh, man, Nicole, I loved the Goonies.

Share this: