Wednesday, May 21, 2014


J.S. Pitts
I love my Goggle search engine sometimes I think a bit too much. I use Google ALL the time. Recently, my critique partner and I were having a discussion on whether to use italics or underlines as we had each received different advice. How did we solve this dilemma? I Googled it. You can check out the post on query tracker: Underline or Italics? for the answer. What did I do when I couldn't remember how to do a search and replace in Scrivener? You got it, I Googled it:Tech Tuesday: Project Replace in Scrivener. In fact while I was working on this blog post, I actually Googled the word Googled and discovered a book by the same name. Who knew?

I actually find Google to be quite handy and use it many times throughout the day. The only time I didn't use it was when I was on a cruise and we had to pay far too much to use the internet. But as soon as we docked, I used Google to settle an issue about an episode of Twilight Zone that arose as part of a dinner conversation.

As I said earlier, I use Google, often, probably too often, but as long as it's available and saves me the effort of trying to remember who played who and what was the title of that movie about the girl and the guy, I'm going to use it. Hey, it beats lugging around a set of encyclopedias.

What have you Goggled this week?

9 comments:

Angela Verges said...

I use Google all the time too. I was struggling with plot for a current project, so I Googled, picture book plots.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll admit, I use it all the time as well.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I use it too. I think the last thing I googled was to do some shopping for my son in Colorado Springs.

LD Masterson said...

My grandson was here doing his homework last night and asked me how to spell someone's name. I said, "I'm not sure. Google it."

loverofwords said...

I will try and figure this out with your directions. And. . .another "lover of words". . .so glad to find you.

cleemckenzie said...

My Google search history would make a psychiatrist scratch his head. Glad I'm not the only Google addict out here.

Tina said...

I use it a lot. My kids ask a LOT of questions, and it's nice to say, let's look it up.
Also, I've found it very helpful even when I have very specific questions like, "How do I know how many people subscribe to my blog with feedburner when it doesn't show up in my blogger stats?" and found the answer right away.
As to movie trivia questions, I use IMDB all the time. It's interconnected. So you know the name of the movie, you can find the starts. Click on the stars, you find their other movie, and so on. Great for finding, "Who was the guy who was in that movie with so and so?"
Tina @ Life is Good
On the Open Road! @ Join us for the 4th Annual Post-Challenge Road Trip!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I love Google too!

Although I knew the italics answer from experience. I used to use underlines, until the day a story of mine was published with words underlined not italicised. I never sent of a ms with underlining again.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ Angela, that's a new one for me. I'll have to give plots a Goggle.

@ Alex, Google is the BEST!

@ Susan, hmm, I don't think I've used it for shopping. Yeah! Another thing to Google.

@ L.D., it's just so much easier than the dictionary!

@loverofwords, welcome! I'm glad you are here.

@ C. Lee, odd Google lists equates to one good writer.

@ Tina, your Google list sounds like mine.

@ Annalisa, oh my! I'm going to STOP using underlines and share that story with my crit partner.

Share this: