Wednesday, May 7, 2014


It's the first Wednesday of the month time for IWSG where we writers help each other deal with our insecurities. Thanks to Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, for providing writer's a safe and supportive format to speak openly, and without fear, about the insecurities that come with the craft of writing. Be sure to check out the IWSG Facebook page where writers can garner support more than once a month.

After being a part of this group for almost two years now, you would think I've run out of insecurities to talk about; sadly, I have not. This month I'm wondering if I'll have the strength to finish the fight. Will I have the stamina to stay the course? Yes, I've had months where I feel great about myself as a writer, but at other times I ask myself, "Why in the world are  you doing this?' It is in those times of reflection that I remember why I'm do it; because I love it!

All my life I have been telling stories to my siblings, friends, students, children and now, hopefully soon, with the public. Yes, writing a story from beginning to end is much harder than I thought it would be. Yes, some days I want to take my plotting chart, keyboard, computer, and anything else that relates to my writing, and through it into the deep end of our pool, but I don't, I just keep going. Fighting everyday to get the story that is inside of me, out. Staying focused on a quote I recently discovered by Pierre Corneille, When there is no peril in the fight there is no glory in the triumph. I hope that at the end of this fight, I'm able to take glory in the triumph.

How are your insecurities treating you this month?


13 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

That's a wonderful quote and I have no doubt you will be enjoying that triumph sometime down the road. Glad you're fighting on. :)

Cherie Reich said...

Keep writing! The only difference between an unpublished writer and a published one is that the one kept going, kept pushing, kept fighting.

Christine Rains said...

Keep going! Perseverance is the key. Fantastic quote. :)

Laura Clipson said...

That's a brilliant quote. You'll get there eventually if you keep trying :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

I know how you feel. Sometimes I feel that way too. But that's why we're here, right? We can encourage one another and lift each other up. You can finish the race. You can finish your work. And you can start again, and finish the next project too. I know you can. Keep fighting and keep writing!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Min concerns my health. Congrats that you keep moving forward. It is easier sometimes to give up and I'm glad you're not doing that.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a great battle cry. Just keep working through the frustrating moments.
And don't toss your computer in the pool. Chlorine is really hard on the innards.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You inspired me. Way to get yourself a good self speak.

LD Masterson said...

Remember, every page, every chapter is a triumph. Enjoy all the little ones on the way to the glory.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I once stopped writing for about 2 years, but I couldn't stop myself going back to it. I love that quote :-)

Suzanne Furness said...

Definitely keep going, writers have to love what they do to keep at it sometimes. It's not an easy path to follow but we do it because we love it - right?

Happy writing.

cleemckenzie said...

My insecurities ebb and flow, depending on the day. I have to average all of that out for the month.

Nicole said...

Love what you say about fighting everyday to get the story out. Sometimes, it feels like a struggle, but it's definitely worth the battle! :)

Share this: