Wednesday, May 14, 2014



From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.” ― Raymond Chandler, The High Window

Did you just laugh out loud? When I first read that quote I did, too. Have you ever read one line from a book that made you want to read the entire book? That recently happened to me as I was reading Martha Alderson's The Plot Whisper. Throughout the book she quotes various authors to get a point across. When I read this quote I had to meet this character. I wanted to read something written by Mr. Chandler. I needed to get my hands on this book. Fortunately for me the line came from a book whose genre I enjoy but even if it didn't, I think I would have had to check out this book.

Happily The High Window is sitting on my nightstand waiting for me to devour its pages. When I'm done I'll come back and let you know if the rest of the book lived up to that one line. Somehow, I think it will.

A wealthy Pasadena widow with a mean streak, a missing daughter-in-law with a past, and a gold coin worth a small fortune—the elements don't quite add up until Marlowe discovers evidence of murder, rape, blackmail, and the worst kind of human exploitation.

"Raymond Chandler is a star of the first magnitude."-- Erle Stanley Gardner

"Raymond Chandler has given us a detective who is hard-boiled enough to be convincing . . . and that is no mean achievement." -- The New York Times

Since I've proven that I can be drawn into a book by just one line, I'd love to know if that has ever happened to you. If it has please share the line or title of the book. I'm always looking for something else to add to my TBR pile. 

3 comments:

loverofwords said...

"In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing." From "A River Runs Through It," by Norman Maclean--one of my favorite books and movies. The last lines are brilliantly written too. (I am always frustrated by not being able to underline titles of books in the comment box, oh well) Raymond Chandler, another wordsmith!

cleemckenzie said...

Chandler was a real manly writer. His words had muscles, and I loved every one of them.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

@ loverofwords I agree with you on both points, underling is frustrating and Raymond Chandler is a master of words. Great line, too!

@cleemckenzie, I only recently discovered Mr. Chandler. I am very glad I did.

Share this: