Wednesday, March 19, 2014

photo credit: Viewminder via photopin cc

Have you ever picked up a book and realized, after reading a few chapters, that you've read the book already? Me, too! Actually, I've done it more times than I care to share. Which brings me to my question for today, How do you keep track of what you read? 

I've tried tracking them on Shelfari, but that hasn't work as effectively as I'd like, mostly because I don't remember to add them to my shelf. I've logged a few on Goodreads, but kept getting distracted by the Goodreads from others. A fellow author has a spread sheet on her computer where she logs everything she reads, while my daughter just remembers everything she's read. I don't have the time or desire to create a reading spreadsheet, or my daughter's enormous recall. So, I ask again, how do you keep track of the books you read?

10 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I use Goodreads but I don't keep it as up to date as I should. I have picked up a book and realized I've read it before thought not very often.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can tell now that I'm reading only on the iPad, because the read ones are marked. I can usually remember though. And it's rare I ever read a book more than once.

Angela Verges said...

I've never actually tried tracking the books. I'd better get on the ball.

S.P. Bowers said...

I don't think I've done that. I can generally remember if I've read a book. I do try to keep track of it on Goodreads but just can't find the time to be completely accurate.

Jo said...

I tried keeping track once or twice but got fed up with it and mostly rely on my memory. I do mostly remember and same as Alex it's easier with an electronic reader. Unlike Alex I do reread favourite books.

randi lee said...

I've done that quite a few times, actually!

LD Masterson said...

I don't. When I'm considering buying a book, or checking it out at the library, I read the book jacket or back cover, maybe the beginning, and a few pages here and there. Usually that will be enough to spot a book I've already read. If not, well, I get to read it again.

Julie Flanders said...

I've done this more times than I care to admit LOL. I am terrible about keeping track.

Nicole said...

Hmm, there have only been a few rare times when I don't automatically remember whether I've read a book or not.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Susan, I have the same problem, or I forget to check Goodreads before I start reading :/

Alex, that could be my argument for getting an iPad :)

Angela, let me know if you come up with a good tracking plan.

S.P., that is my problem with Goodreads as well.

Jo, I reread my favorites, too.

Randi, we should start a club! Or at least a Facebook page.

L.D., I may put your book jacket plan into action.

Julie, I'm glad to know it's not just me :)

Nicole,I need a memory like yours.

Share this: