Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My evil genius Procrastination has whispered me to tarry 'til a more convenient season. ~ Mary Todd Lincoln

The Los Angeles chapter of the SCBWI recently posted this article in our Yahoo Group: Why Writers Are the Worst Procrastinators. The psychological origins of waiting (... and waiting, and waiting) to workInitially, I didn't read the article but after it got so much feedback from the group members I had to see what all the fuss was about. I was only a few paragraphs in when this sentence caught my eye: Most writers were the kids who easily, almost automatically, got A's in English class. I thought, "Hey, that was me!" From that point on I was hooked. Could this be the key to ending my never-ending novel? Could I actually be my own worse enemy? Could my past successes be hindering my future ones?

photo credit: J.S. Pitts

Ms. McArdle does an amazing job of supporting her theory and clarifying why writers, like me, find the task of writing so challenging and why it's taking me FAR longer to finish a project than I thought it would. Another revelation for me was this: “The reason we struggle with"insecurity,” says Pastor Steven Furtick, “is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel.” I have often said it would be so much easier if I could actually see someone's start to finish project. Because always seeing the end product, just makes me feel hopeless. Perhaps my issue isn't just the problem with seeing the process, it could be that I need to move from having a fixed mind-set, to one of a growth mind-set. (I would define that more, but she does a much better job than I could.)

This article may not be the catalyst that allows me to finish my book, but it does offer me new insight and knowledge on my shortcomings. And, as Sir Francis Bacon states, Knowledge is Power.

7 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

I read that article too! While I was procrastinating writing.

It was enlightening and fun.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think I got A's in English. Been so long, I don't remember.
If you could see my first drafts, you would be so full of hope!

Jo said...

I think its just being scared to push your baby out there on its own. Most authors seem to feel like that.

Angela Verges said...

That article was on point.

Thanks

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Those 'A's were kind of easy. Hope what you learned helps you move onward.

Nicole said...

Hehe, I loved English class. ;)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hey, S.P., I did, too!

Alex, I'm glad to know bad first drafts are part of the biz.

Jo, you are so right!

Angela, is was great. Glad you got a chance to read it.

Thanks, Susan, I think it did.

Nicole, I loved English as well. I think it had a lot to do with my teacher.

Share this: