Wednesday, February 26, 2014

BOOK REVIEW

Summary: After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

 "Remarkable, not-to-be-missed-under-any-circumstances."—Entertainment Weekly 

"Twilight time for aliens in Rick Yancey’s ‘5th Wave’ "—Brian Truitt, USA TODAY

My Thoughts: Like many of the books in my TBR pile I can't remember how or why The 5th Wave got there, but I'm really, really, glad it did. Once I began reading The 5th Wave I couldn't put it down. I truly enjoyed Rick Yancey's take on aliens arriving, in a uniquely invasive way, and not being the E.T. type, but wanting the earth for their own. Yes, aliens always come and they always want the earth for their own, but what if you learned they have been here long before the mothership arrived and you can't tell them from us? What if they are your friends, neighbors, parents, and their only goal is to destroy humans? Rick Yancey asked those what ifs.

I listened to the audio version, read by Brandon Espinoza and Phoebe Strole, who did an excellent job of  pulling me into Mr. Yancey's story. With each chapter ending I could barely wait to find out what was going to happen next. I found myself carrying the CD's around with me so I could listen as I drove, cooked, and even brushed my teeth! There is so much to say that I can't say it all in here. You can view the book trailers for waves 1-4 below to learn more. If the trailers peak your interest and you want to know what the 5th wave is all about you'll have to get your hands on a copy of Rick Yancey's The 5th Wave.

5TH WAVE TRAILER - 1ST WAVE


5TH WAVE TRAILER - 2ND WAVE


5TH WAVE TRAILER - 3RD WAVE



5TH WAVE TRAILER - 4TH WAVE


After the way the story ended there was no doubt in my mind that a sequel was somewhere in the works and I was right. The Infinite Sea will be out in September of this year. Oh, and if that's not enough, The 5th Wave will be coming soon to a theater near you: Sony has made a significant six-figure deal to launch a franchise based on what Yancey expects to be a trilogy. Producers include Graham King (Argo) and Tobey Maguire.

Summary: Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

The riveting follow-up to the New York Times bestselling The 5th Wave, hailed by Justin Cronin as “wildly entertaining.”

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.
Image of Richard Yancey

Rick Yancey is the author several books for adults, including The Highly Effective Detective. He is also a produced playwright and former theater critic. He lives in Gainesville, Florida with his wife and three sons. Visit him at www.rickyancey.com.




Have you read The 5th Wave? Is it in your  TBR pile? If aliens came to earth do you think they would be friendly?

4 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

My daughter keeps telling me to read it but it's still in the pile. You've inspired me. Sounds really good.

S.P. Bowers said...

This is on my list too. Guess I'll have to bump it up to the top.

Lynda R Young said...

Sounds great! I love this kind of story.

Sherry Ellis said...

This sounds like a book I should definitely put on my list!

Share this: