Monday, December 2, 2013

photo credit: papahazama via photopin cc
I have always loved apple fritters. Add a cup of coffee and it becomes breakfast that makes smile. Today I have a reason to eat apple fritters and smile because it's National Fritters DayPaula Deen and The Pioneer Woman both have great apple fritter recipes, neither of which I've tired, but they do look yummy! I may have to make trip to the store for apples. That's if I don't pass the doughnut shop, with their already made apple fritters, along the way.

According to Food.com we can thank the Spanish for this fried delicacy. Fritters have crossed cultural lines and different versions can be found anywhere from Asia to India. Fritters can be sweet or savory and have been made with a variety of ingredients including pumpkin, zucchini, corn, prawns, rice, and of course apples. If your mouth is watering for a savory fritter recipe, hop over to Food.com and fry some up. If fritters aren't your cup-of-tea or you're in the mood for something healthier, you can celebrate Eat An Apple Day, which was yesterday, and as the 1904 World’s Fair saying goes, An apple a day will keep the doctor away.

photo credit: Doblonaut via photopin cc
Are you a fritter fan? Do you like them sweet or savory? What sweet or savory food makes you smile?


10 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

I have to go with fritters over apples even if they're unhealthy. :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fritter Day! Who knew? Not sure I've ever tried one either.

Angela Verges said...

I haven't tried a fritter, but I do like sweet things. Hot apple pie a la mode is a favorite.

S.P. Bowers said...

Sigh, I'm afraid I'm going to have to celebrate eat an apple day, instead of them being fried up into heavenly goodness. Still,it was fun to learn about apple fritters. Even if I have to be good and not eat one.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love, love, love apple fritters but I haven't had one in a long time. I'd have to run a marathon to work off those calories.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I love how you think, Julie!

Alex, you have to try one, or at least a couple of bites to celebrate the holiday.

Angela, I love apple pie a la mode, too! Hmm, I wonder how fritters taste a la mode.

I completely understand, S.P.. I'm having an apple with my fritter so it will counteract the damage (wink, wink).

Susan, you are so right about the marathon. I know I shouldn't have one either, but it's a holiday and calories don't count on a holiday, right?

Ruth Schiffmann said...

I have never had an apple fritter, but after that picture, I'm going to look up a recipe. Yum!

Melissa said...

For a long time, I didn't try them because, well, they didn't look very appetizing. I finally did. They ARE yummy. :)

Jo said...

I don't think I have ever had a fritter either. Apple fritters would certainly not be for me. I don't much like apples however served. Savoury would probably suit me best.

Susanne Drazic said...

Apple fritters are good. Happy (belated) National Fritters Day!

Share this: