Wednesday, December 4, 2013


It's the first Wednesday of the month time for IWSG where we writers help each other deal with our insecurities. Thanks to Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, for providing writer's a safe and supportive format to speak openly, and without fear, about the insecurities that come with the craft of writing. Be sure to check out the IWSG Facebook page where writers can garner support more than once a month.

Like most writers my insecurities run the gamut from I can never do this to I was meant to do this. Each month when it's time to write my IWSG post I have a plethora of insecurities to chose from. Since I don't want to bore you with my angst, I will just pick the one that is screaming louder than the rest this week which is, Will they read it?

After spending so much time writing, rewriting, and rewriting my novel again and again, the thought that no one will want to read it is horrifying. I am well aware that what I write isn't for everyone, but what if it's for no one? What if I've spent all this time writing and no one reads it? Wait! There is one person who will read it and love it, good old mom. I know without a doubt my mom will read my novel and she will love it. She will love it even if it's the worse thing ever written she will still brag that it was written by her daughter. Sigh, I feel so much better. Aren't Mom's wonderful? I love my mom so much and even when she's not with me she still manages to ease my insecurities. After all as Abe Lincoln said, All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother. Thanks, Mom for always being my number one fan!

How are your insecurities doing this month? Do you have a number one fan that can help smooth them out for you?


10 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

Mums are fantastic! My mum makes notes of all the things she enjoyed, just so she doesn't miss anything out! She's also buying my book as Christmas presents for her friends :-) Get yours to do the same, and your readership will go up for sure.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you love it, then believe others will as well!
Lucky you. My mother hasn't read any of my books because she doesn't like the genre.

Rachna Chhabria said...

My mother has read practically everything I have written. Sometimes I too feel will anyone read what I have written.

Michelle Wallace said...

My fear is always that my stories don't offer "other-worldly entities", which is the trend these days... like vampires, shape-shifters, werewolves, witches, fairies, mermaids and other alien types... so for me, that fear is very real!
Writer In Transit

Julie Flanders said...

My mom is my biggest fan too and that always feels so good. But I have no doubt that others will love your books too!

Laura said...

Thank goodness for family. I know that when I finish my novel, at least my mum and my sister will read it, and love it.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You really made me smile today, Jenn. I try to be the kind of Mom you describe. My daughter is probably my #1 fan.

Jennifer said...

This is almost exactly my insecurity. Except I won't let my mother read my novel until after I publish it because I don't think she would give me any real feedback. She actually told me "You wouldn't want to ask me to critique your writing because anything you write would be perfect to me." So, it's nice to know I have one built in fan, but not exactly great for alleviating insecurities.

LD Masterson said...

No one can ever take the place of your mom. I so wish she was still here to see my stories in print.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Great idea, Annalisa! That's one way to know I'll sell a few books :D

Thanks, Alex, your words always encourage me.

Rachna, it's comforting to know others worry about the same things as I do. I plan on giving my mom an ARC as soon as I can.

Michelle, based on what I'm reading those "other-worldly entities" may be on their way out leaving room for writers like us.

Thanks for the encouragement, Julie. We can always count on Mom to be our biggest fan.

Laura, isn't family great!?!

Aww, Susan, your comment made my day! I love making people smile.

Jennifer, your mom sounds wonderful! I don't plan on letting my mom read it until after it's published, too.

Thank you, L.D., I'm sure she's proud of you and your writing.

Share this: