Wednesday, November 6, 2013


It's the first Wednesday of the month time for IWSG where we writers help each other deal with our insecurities. Thanks to Ninja Captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, for providing writer's a safe and supportive format to speak openly, and without fear, about the insecurities that come with the craft of writing. Be sure to check out the IWSG Facebook page where writers can garner support more than once a month.

photo credit: red11group via photopin cc
As I begin yet another revision on my novel I'm encouraged by the ideas, plot lines, and story arcs I'm creating, but I'm feeling a bit insecure about my ability to stay the course. This concern comes as I note that during my previous revisions I somehow managed to get lost along the way. I usually made it to my destination, The End, but it wasn't the end I was striving toward. At times it was bigger, sadder, slower, or just plain wrong. For this revision I pulled out my copy of Save the Cat, dusted off my story board, bought a giant stack of 3x5 cards and feel ready to start the road trip again. I only hope this time I don't get lost along the way.

How are your writing insecurities holding up? Are you feeling yourself veer a little off course, too?

10 comments:

Laura said...

Good luck with your revision! I hope you manage to stay on course :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I always get lost, forget what I wanted to achieve, end up with a different ending. Usually the story arc is such that the changes are far better than I imagined. Sometimes you have to trust your intuition! Good luck :-)

Julie Flanders said...

I get lost too but it sounds like you are doing everything you need to stay on the right track. Good luck!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you're planning it out Save The Cat style, I bet you'll stay on course. Good luck!

Angela Verges said...

Yes, I am often off course. Right now I feel like I'm stuck in neutral. I have ideas all over the place, now I need to pull them together. I'll have to look at Save the Cat.
Good luck with your project.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I try to get everything on course in the second draft. My first drafts are messes.

Along These Lines ... said...

Insecure writer's support group? That could be a big group.

Jo said...

I often wonder how writers keep track. Particularly with these huge endeavours like Wheel of Time or similar books. I hope you find your next revision doesn't take you off track again. Good luck.

I am nominating you for Super Sweet Blogging

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Glad you decided to try even harder. Good luck.

kelworthfiles said...

Hey there! I'm on a big writer's high today, the day after Nanowrimo 2013. :) But I've got to face going back to revising some of my short stories soon!

Nice to meet you.

Share this: