Monday, November 25, 2013

Happy National Parfait Day!

photo credit: Renée S. Suen via photopin cc
National Parfait Day is celebrated on November 25th of each year. Parfait is a French word literally meaning perfect so it's no wonder it's the perfect treat for a snack, meal, or dessert.

Although parfaits were originally served on decorative plates, today they are typically layered in tall, thin glasses in many variations from the original 19th century French recipe.

In America our parfaits are normally made by layering cream, ice cream, or flavored gelatin dessert with other ingredients such as granola, nuts, yogurt, syrups, liqueurs, fresh fruit, or whipped topping.

With all the busyness of the upcoming holiday season parfaits make the perfect grab and go breakfast or snack. Women's Day has 10 Irresistible Parfait Recipes you can add to your recipe file. Or just grab some frozen, fruit, Greek yogurt, granola or nuts, layer it in a glass or mug and you got yourself a parfait.

On Wednesday I'll be listing a few of the things I'm thankful for and one of them is you! If you're in town stop back by on Wednesday and read the rest, but in case you're traveling, Happy Thanksgiving and Thank You for being a blog partner with me this year.

8 comments:

Jo said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Our Canadian one is all over. Looking forward to Christmas.

Haven't had a parfait in years.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As Donkey said, everyone loves parfaits!

Angela Verges said...

I haven't had a parfait in a very long time. This looks like a delightful treat!

S.P. Bowers said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

I will never be able to think of Parfaits without thinking of Shrek. It's forever associated in my mind.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Now, you've made me hungry!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Now I want to go get my vanilla yogurt out and make a parfait. I'm thankful to you too even if you make my hungry when it's too late at night to eat.

Julie Flanders said...

Ooh that parfait looks so yummy. I don't even remember the last time I had one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Jo, I hope you had a wonderful Canadian Thanksgiving!

Alex, donkey was right on that one.

It is delightful, Angela, and almost guilt free.

Thanks, S.P., I love that Shrek line, too.

Roland, go have a parfait!

Haha! Susan, I'm sorry to make you hungry late at night. I guess misery loves company.

Julie, I hope you got a chance to have one for the holiday :D

Share this: