Wednesday, October 9, 2013

photo credit: katerha via photopin cc
As to be expected anyone who wants to be a writer by default is a lover of books; present company included. Recently, I finished The Silver Star from the amazing Jeanette Walls. If you are a fan of her best selling memoir, The Glass Castle, which has been a New York Times bestseller for more than five years, you will enjoy The Silver Star.

After I finished The Silver Star I was looking for something else to capture me and make me want to put life on hold while I read, so I checked out a link I received last week on the 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels. I discovered, to my horror, that I'd only read sixteen of their best 100. Of course this list, like most lists, is very subjective so I shouldn't be upset because it did even have some of my favorites on it like, The False Prince or Cinder, but I was still surprised to realize that I hadn't even read half of their top 100. In an effort to boost my spirits I checked out the list for middle grade and was happy to discover I had a much better score, 32 out of 100, but that was still dreadfully low. Admittedly I'd never heard of several of their top middle grade picks: Misty of Chincoteague, Poppy,or The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, I was disappointed that this list also failed to mention a few of my favorites: Rules by Cynthia Lord, By the Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleishman and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo.

After seeing both of these lists, it reaffirms what  Gene Roddenberry said when fans gave him a lot of grief about whether a child should be on board a U.S.S. Enterprise in Star Trek TNG: “You are all under the impression I write for you, but I write for me and I like the character…” I  may not be Gene Roddenberry, but I will keep this in mind as I write and as I read.

With that thought in mind what middle grade or Y.A. books would be on your top 100 list?

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You have to admire Roddenberry's attitude.
I've never read it, but Misty of Chincoteague was one of many horse books for that author.

Angela Verges said...

This Jenn for this list of books. You have identified several books that I will add to my reading list.

Angela Verges said...

should say,"thanks" Jenn (-:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

There is such a vast range of books to choose from in Blogshere. Thanks for a good choice.

Yvonne.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

My daughter insisted I read Edward Tulane. What a lovely story. I'm going to buy it for all my grandchildren, if I ever have any.

S.P. Bowers said...

I can't get the link to the list to work for me. I'll come back and try again later because I'm interested in seeing what's on there.

Jo said...

I actually enjoyed the Twilight series which was YA. Not seen the films, but thought the books very good.

cleemckenziebooks said...

I'm a Kate DiCaillo fan, so her books are on that list for me.

Old Kitty said...

The Outsiders by SE Hinton! :-)

p.s. I totally appreciate Gene's defence of Wesley in TNG but sometimes it takes an outsider (s) to see when some things do not work. And Wesley did not work at all on TNG! Totally my humble opinion btw!

Take care
x

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Alex, I love Roddenberry, too. My girl is into horses, I'll have to share the Misty of Chincoteague book with her.

You are welcome, Angela, I love sharing and hearing about good books!

Yvonne, there is a lot of good books out there. It's hard to keep up.

Me, too, Susan. We heard about it from our librarian and we LOVE it.

I'm sorry the link didn't work for you, S.P.. I'll check it out.

Jo, I heard the Twilight series was good, but I haven't read the books or scene the movies.

I agree with you, C.Lee. Kate is AWESOME!

Old Kitty, that's the great thing about writing it doesn't have to work for everyone.

Share this: