Monday, October 14, 2013

photo credit: Gudlyf via photopin cc
It's October! The month favored by kids all over the nation because on the last day of the month all your neighbors give out free candy! So, it's the perfect month to celebrate National Dessert Day! For folks like myself, everyday is dessert day, but today I have an official reason to enjoy dessert all day. According to Trainer Bob from the Biggest Loser it's a good thing to have one reward day a week, why not make it today? As Ernestine Ulmer states: "Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first." Let's throw caution and calories to the wind and celebrate by eating dessert for every meal! How about Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Scones for breakfast, Berry-Filled Cinnamon Crepes for lunch and Pumpkin-Ginger Waffles for dinner. What a perfectly wonderful way to celebrate today.

photo credit: eaortmann via photopin cc
Okay, if you can't handle all those desserts in one day, (who could?) why not celebrate with a chocolate covered insect for National Chocolate Covered Insect Day? Which just happens to be celebrated on October 14th, too. Although I've never eaten an insect dipped in chocolate my daughter has. She tried a chocolate covered cricket from the infamous Hotlix candy store in Pismo Beach. According to her it tasted like a Kit Kat. I'll take her word for it. If you can't make it to Pismo, check out Mary Osborne's eHow recipe for making your own chocolate covered insects. If neither of those options work for you, you can always hop over to Amazon and order a can of Fluker's Gourmet Canned Food. You might not get them in time to eat today, but it beats making them yourself.

As for me, I think I'll stick to celebrating National Dessert Day and skip the insects. What's your take on eating insects? Outside of the usual stray gnat have you ever eaten an insect? Would you if it was covered in chocolate? What dessert do you recommend eating to celebrate National Dessert Day?

12 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

My those desserts looks delicious and me trying to loose some pounds in weight. Great post.

Yvonne.

S.P. Bowers said...

No insects for me.

I can see my waist expanding already.

Samantha May said...

I'll skip the crickets, but I WILL take those other desserts pictured. *drools*

L.G. Smith said...

I'm not eating a chocolate covered cricket, but it makes sense it might taste/crunch like a Kit Kat. :P

Ooh, and I made a rum cake last Thursday. It was delish!

Julie Flanders said...

Okay, I was craving dessert until I came to the crickets! Ugh. Why on earth would anyone want to ruin chocolate with insects?? LOL I can't imagine.

Joy said...

Pumpkin Ginger waffles!! Those sound fantastic. Fun post!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No crickets for me, thanks!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'll skip the chocolate covered insects too. Believe it or not, I don't care that much for chocolate.

Angela Verges said...

Your daughter is brave. I'll try one of the other deserts (-:

Angela Verges said...

Ok, not a "desert" I'll try a dessert.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Second skipping the insects. To desserts!

Susanne Drazic said...

Darn, I missed National Dessert Day and National Chocolate Covered Insect Day? I knew someone who used to make suckers with bugs in them. I never tried them, but I heard they were suppose to be good. I think I'd probably pass on the bugs myself.

Share this: