Monday, October 7, 2013

National Face Your Fears Day

photo credit: hang_in_there via photopin cc

Tuesday, October 8th is National Face Your Fears Day. A day to celebrate people who have faced and overcome their fears. What fear are you trying to overcome? Ephebiphobia - fear of teenagers, kakorrhaphiophobia - fear of failure, or phobophobia - a fear of fears. Have you ever thought about what your life be like would be like if you conquered some of your greatest fears? What might you do differently? Publish that novel? Sing karaoke in a bar? Dance in the rain with the one you love?

Growing up I had achluophobia - the fear of darkness. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with all the Stephen King novels I read, but whatever the cause, I didn't like dark places. I remember sleeping with a flashlight in my sleeping bag at summer camp and a night light on in college. Getting married alleviated some of my fear of darkness, I can sleep without a night light now, but I still prefer well-lit rooms and love when the days are longer and the nights are shorter.

National Face Your Fears Day is all about going for it and encouraging others to do the same. As Franklin D. Roosevelt said,  "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." (He never read a Stephen King novel.) In the spirit of this day I'm going to follow Eleanor Roosevelt's advice and “Do one thing every day that scares you.” I'm going to go into a room without turning on the light!

How about you? What fear can you overcome today?

10 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I faced one of my fears only yesterday. I flew to Spain to see my son. I am not frightened of flying but due to much heartbreak in the family in the UK have had a fear of going out.
To anyone who has a fear FACE it.....it may take a while but think of the relief when conquered.Good luck to anyone who is going to face a fear tomorrow.
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The only way to get over a fear is to do it.

Angela Verges said...

"Do one thing everyday that scares you..." I like that quote.

Thanks Jenn

Johanna Garth said...

I'm horribly afraid of rats. The sewer kind that you see on subway tracks. I don't think today is going to be the day I face that fear. At least I really hope not!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I've never been a fan of heights but I can function. Since becoming a parent, my only real fear is something happening to my children.

S.P. Bowers said...

Ephebiphobia? Wow, I had no idea. I think my fear is more of turning back into a teenager. Shudder. Never want to go there again. But I'm not afraid of those who currently are teenagers. :)

Honestly, I spent a lot of my younger years afraid of so many things. Now I've learned that I miss out on too much if I let the fears rule my life.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Yvonne, you are braver than I am. I love how you continue to fight for your family.

Alex, very true. Nike was right, just do it!

Me, too, Angela.

Ewww! I hope you don't have to face that fear either, Johanna.

Oh my gosh, Susan, I'm sure that is every parent's worst nightmare.

S.P., I love your outlook on life. Never let the fears win.

L.G. Smith said...

I did not know there was a National Face Your Fears Day. I wish I'd read this earlier, I would have faced...er, something scary just to prove I could do it!! But, yeah, I'll admit that fear holds me back sometimes. Wish it didn't, but it does.

Jo said...

I don't really have fears any more. I probably did when I was younger but I don't really remember what they were. I do agree, facing your fears is the only way to defeat them.

Pk Hrezo said...

I slept with the light on in my bedroom til I was 12. But I grew up in the 80s in the middle of horror movie madness, so yeah my imagination ran wild, much like yours. lol

Share this: